Skip to main content

Book Review- Tell the Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

I can’t cite the title of this book properly and that really bothers me. Anyway, I love to read. I have been reading since BEFORE I was in kindergarten, and I hold the all-time record of reading the most books in grade one.  I think that makes me qualified enough to judge books; except I’m not going to do this the normal way. You can look up the plot synopsis on Google at any point in time. I’m going to give you my personal take on the book. I’m also going to include a list of quotes and why they mean something to me. I’m even going to include proper citations, because I am an English nerd.

Tell the Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt was suggested to me by a friend. She says she suggests it to everyone, and I think it is definitely worth the read. The chapters are pretty short, so if you’re not one to sit down for long periods of time, this is very beneficial. It deals with the subject of AIDs when it first sprouted in the world, and it was a taboo subject. It is told through the eyes of June Elbus, a fourteen year old girl who is grieving the death of her beloved Uncle Finn. When I first started reading, I think I accidently skimmed over the parts where it mentioned the year, because I was very confused at why AIDs was such a big deal. Just to clarify, it takes place in 1987. It says so right on the back of the book. I expected this book to be a lot sadder than it actually was. I teared up on only one occasion. There are a lot of family issues, and family is something that I hold dear to my heart; especially the sister parts. The quotes I picked are a lot more telling of the book than my review is.


Here we go:
1.       “Watching people is a good hobby, but you have to be careful about it. You can’t let people catch you staring at them. If people catch you, they treat you like a first-class criminal. And maybe they’re right to do that. Maybe it should be a crime to try to see things about people they don’t want you to see” (4).
I am a people watcher. When I go to the library at school, I pick a table that’s perfectly situated so that I can watch the people come in and out of the doors. So I’ve noticed things. Things like the look of pure concentration on someone’s face when they start getting into the thing they’re reading. Things like receiving a text from someone and smiling a smile that is meant for that person’s texts only. Things like a slight eye roll or a frustrated glare. I’ve noticed these things without anyone notice me. When June says this, I agreed. I had never thought about people watching like this before. Of course I’ve been caught, but thinking about it now, it’s like I’ve seen into the deep, most secret parts of people. We have all made faces that no one is supposed to see. But what if they did? Would it feel like they’ve seen your naked soul?

2.       “I stared out the car window and understood that I was in a place where nobody knew my heart even a little bit” (25).
I found myself reading this and understanding it perfectly. This is what it feels like to be in a large amount of people, but feel alone. I have gone through my life without having a friend group to fit into. My last year of high school was hard without my best friend around (she’s a year older). So I get it. I know what it’s like to have no one around that can understand you. It’s basically like this.

3.       “I thought that if I was drowning in an ocean, Finn would be like a strong, polished wooden ship with sails that always caught the wind. And Toby? Well, Toby was more like a big yellow rubber raft that might pop at any moment. But maybe he’d still be there” (186).
I think we all need to take a second and just think about this quote. We need to think about those people who maybe are not the best at comforting or not the most stable people in general, but they are the people that only want to give their support and love to you. These people should be appreciated more. Maybe they can’t help themselves, but at least they want to try and help you.

4.       “If you always make sure you’re exactly the person you hoped to be, if you always make sure you know only the very best people, then you won’t care if you die tomorrow” (203).
As hard as it can be to accept, this quote is 100% true. At one point in my life, I started cutting out the people that were bringing me down. And you know what? I was happier. I was happier. You need to surround yourself with people that will raise you up. It makes being you easier. I have kept a firm hold on who I am because I have the best people in my life that bring out the best in me, or challenge me to become a better me. No one holds me back or brings me down. Try it, I promise you it will help.

5.       “You can build a whole world around the tiniest of touches” (279).
This quote is about the beginnings of a relationship. It made me sigh, because I started thinking about the last time I had a crush on a guy. If he ever accidently (or purposely) touched me, I would remember exactly how it felt for hours. A hand on a back, a finger on an arm, a foot against a leg...you know what I’m talking about.

6.       “Like he’s swallowed the sun” (327).
This is about someone’s magical laugh. I just thought it was a brilliant simile. I can almost hear the melodious manner in which this individual would laugh, and how much I would want to hear them laugh again.

On my scale, one star is boring and I cannot understand it and five stars is life changing and jaw dropping-ly brilliant. I give this book 4/5 stars. It is a fantastic read, but did not shatter my being. I suggest this one for sure!

I read every night, so I can shut my brain off before going to sleep. I try to read 2 chapters a night. The next book I’m planning to read doesn’t have chapter numbers so I’m not sure how long I’m going to take to post another review. If you have any book suggestions for me, leave me a comment!

-Daniella


P.S. <a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11860923/?claim=6uddsgvy247">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

Comments

  1. Heey Daniella! Thank you so much for checking out my blog. Your great at writing, have you ever thought about being an author Amazing! :) & dont give up on your blog because its looking great x

    Rebecca
    www.rebeccamariaphotographyy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did consider being an author once, but I never pursued it. Perhaps it's in my future. But who knows?
      I started this blog just over a week ago and it's already doing much better, so I think things are looking up for me!
      Thank you for your feedback :)
      -Daniella

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav