Skip to main content

Lessons Learned- Birthday Edition

Yesterday was  my birthday, and I am 21, and that feels like a big deal for some reason. The last couple birthdays have not been fantastic, but I had been looking forward to this one for some reason. It was my first birthday away from home, and some of the people I’m closest to here are away for Easter break, but it was the most amazing day. I didn't do anything over the top, but I did make myself a cake made out of chocolate chip cookies. For my birthday-themed post, I looked back at pictures from the past year to remind myself of some important lessons I’ve learned.

1.       Living with people is going to come with issues.

I moved to Leeds back in September, and I have to live with people for the first time. It’s more difficult than I thought it would be. Between the Tetris-esque stack of dishes by the sink, flatmates who refuse to clean the bathrooms, and thin walls that make it so you hear all the sex everyone is having, there have been some frustrating moments. The only thought getting me through those times has been “this is temporary.” Of course, there will be some great things that come out of it. I’m thinking about a trip to Philadelphia next year to visit my current American flatmates. It's certainly a balance of good and bad, and I am grateful to have the opportunity to meet so many different people.

2.       The right friends will make an effort.

The thing about moving away is that you start to see who is fully supporting you. When I found out about my exchange, I made a discreet post on Facebook so that only some people knew what I was actually talking about. I was overcome with messages of congratulations, and one friend even bought me a cake! When it came to the day I left, the same people messaged me or came out for a night out before I left. The night before I left, one friend came over after work, and two friends came over after their busiest day at school so they could say goodbye. Some friends didn’t bother. The friends who put the effort in make all the difference in my life, and I know that more than ever now.
 
20th Birthday Wine and Cheese with Marlee.

3.       You’ll catch up with the people who seem to be ahead of you.

I have always been the single girl with friends who are in long-term relationships. It sucks. I always felt like I was missing out or behind. Over the past year, I had one friend get married and another get engaged. I had a conversation with my dad about this, and he told me that’s going to happen all throughout my life. By the time I’m at the same stage in my life, these friends will probably be having kids. It happens, but my dad says you’re going to catch up. I’m no longer in the same position, so I’ve realized that as slow as it seems to be taking, your lives will synch up again.

4.       "Grin and bear" it is a key tip to professionalism.

I love my job, and my staff over the summer was the best yet. I worked with a lot people from the past and maintained old friendships. We partied and hung out often. However, there was one staff member that I didn’t get along with. I made the mistake of calling him out a party (another lesson learned), and things were tense between us. I obviously couldn’t let this tension show at work, so I learned about what it means to be professional even when you don’t want to be. Sometimes, you need to suck it up and pretend like they're your best friend.

5.       It is okay to speak up when you don’t believe in something your friend is doing.
 
I’m the kind of person who will speak up for something I don’t believe is right. Over the past year, I found myself confronting a friend about a life decision I thought to be questionable. It almost lost me a friendship. However, having mature adult conversations is a part of life, and we both learned how to talk things out in that way. I don’t regret my decision. Even though it caused a major riff in our relationship for a time, I know it was worth it to speak up because I would have tortured myself by keeping it in.
 
Stonehenge with new friends.

6.       Spontaneity can be awesome.

I don’t consider myself to be a particularly spontaneous person. At the end of the last school year, I got it into my head that I wanted to chop my hair off. Within 24 hours of that idea, I booked an appointment and went through with it. It was one of the best decisions I have made regarding the way I look. I don’t think I’m going to make spontaneous decisions a part of my everyday life, but it would be cool to see how future spontaneous decisions could be included in my life.

7.       Be careful who you host parties with.

Whether it be a flat party, birthday party, or bridal shower, this point is valuable to keep in mind. It may seem like the greatest idea to host a party with your roommates, friends, or siblings, but you need to make sure everyone involved is completely on board. If you’re hosting a party together, tasks should be divided equally. A party isn’t just about the social aspect or pulling food or drinks together. It includes a lot of work before, during, AND after. For example, splitting food/drink costs before, checking on food supplies during, and doing the major cleanup after are all important aspects. Make sure everyone is committed to splitting ALL the tasks at hand, and the party will be flawless.

So there we go. I’ve learned a lot in this past year, and I can’t wait to see what I will learn as a 21 year old!

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Monthly Favourites- February 2016

I don’t know about you, but it feels like February has flown by! I can’t say it’s been a busy month; it’s more like a month of sinking back into routine. Last month, I was so ready to get back to school. It’s been great so far. I’m loving my classes, and I’m doing well with keeping on top of readings. I went to watch The Superbowl with friends (we didn’t make it to halftime), took control of my own body, and I’ve made myself a solid group of friends. I’m really happy. Here’s what got me through the month: 1.        NetGalley     I’m sure you can tell based on the sheer amount of book reviews I’ve been posting, but I have been reading quite a lot. This is all thanks to NetGalley. I have been a member of the site for over a year, but I never really got into it until now. At home, I have an extensive bookshelf, but I couldn’t bring that to the UK with me. I turned to NetGalley, and I have been rewarded. As a member, I request book titles and get a free e-book. In exchange, I have