Thursday, May 12, 2016

Edinburgh

You know, I was doing so well with keeping up with blog posts at the beginning of the year. I’m not going to make excuses for myself – I just suck sometimes. Anyway, I was in Edinburgh a few weeks ago! I went with a touring company called Don’t Be a Tourist that caters to students across England. I went to Bath with them in the fall, and I enjoyed the trip. Since I wanted to do more travelling, going to Edinburgh seemed like the perfect opportunity. It was a great adventure!

The bus ride was a long one. I woke up early and slept pretty much all the way there (as I always do). When we got there, I chose to separate from the people I went with and go explore the castle. I wish I had more time there. I did a walking tour, wandered around the Great Hall, saw the Crown Jewels, and watched part of a presentation about 17th century wars. The guy actually shot a musket from that time, and it was so loud! They weren’t made to be loud, but that’s how it turned out. I wish I had spent more time there. I honestly could have been there for hours.
 
The reason I had to cut my time short was because we had a scheduled walking tour. It was led by a guy in a kilt (yes, that stereotype is true). It was fascinating. Edinburgh has such a rich history. I spent more time getting myself lost and taking pictures of the buildings. I also watched a funny street performer before the group met up for dinner. After dinner, we did a Ghost Tour (it wasn’t actually scary though). We also did a pub crawl, but I genuinely couldn’t make it through because I crashed and crashed HARD so I went back to the hostel before I yelled at someone.


The next morning, the group had an option to walk to Calton Hill. There are something beautiful buildings up there, but, most importantly, they have an uncompleted Parthenon. Way back when, the people wanted to build a replica, but it ended up being too expensive, so it is now known as Edinburgh’s Shame.


After that, I did the big trek up Arthur’s Seat. Now, if you’re in Edinburgh, you HAVE to do this. However, if you’re not of good fitness (like me), you’re going to struggle. But it was worth it. I made it to the top, and the views were stunning.
 
My advice for Arthur’s Seat is to take it slow and enjoy the views. This may have been the most physically demanding thing I have made my body do. I took it really slow and took breaks whenever it was possible. I’m glad I did. If your only goal is to get to the top, you’re going to miss out on some spectacular sights. The best part of this walk is that I made a friend. A really bubbly girl from Chicago asked me to take her picture, and we got to talking, walked down together, and spent the rest of the day hanging out. It was really special.


Afterwards, I spent a little more time around the city. I went into The Whisky Trail that’s on the Royal Mile to get my dad something, and it ended up being the most amazing experience. The guys working there were amazing, and they helped me out wonderfully, and they were actively engaged in conversation. There are so many places to get some Scottish whisky, but this place is well worth a visit.
 
All in all, it was a great trip. I love the old buildings and the history of the place. I wish I could have spent more time there. I would like to go again in the future for a few days at least. I would definitely suggest going if you’re in Scotland. Just make sure you bring a sweater – it actually snowed while I was there!

Let me know if you’ve ever been to Edinburgh and what you did there.

-Daniella