Tuesday, August 2, 2016

My Fitness Journey - Month One

Hi there again with this difficult post (shout out to the one person who commented last time – you made me laugh). The one thing I forgot to mention in my last post is my ultimate goal. I am very happy with my body and the way it works. My goal isn't to be "healthy." I don't have an ideal weight or size or anything like that because I'm already the ideal version of myself. A few more tweaks is going to raise that bar. My goal is to not die walking up hills. It took difficult treks in Ilkley Moor and Edinburgh to make me realize that I needed to change something. I mentioned in a health tips post that walking up stairs becomes easier when you do it more. As true as that is, I just did not walk up enough hills to make it easier for myself. So my goal is to simply make that easier on myself and promote a lifestyle that can include all activities. I don’t want to miss out on things because I’m not fit enough.



So my month has been a little all over the place. I was really good about working out before I started work. Then, as I started picking up on my hours, I stopped working out altogether. It happens. Recently, I’ve been getting back into the swing of things. Work also gets me up on my feet, and I’m moving all the time. I’ve been walking on the treadmill for about 20 minutes a day with some extra YouTube videos afterwards. I like the 4 minute HIIT videos from Lucy Wyndham-Read. I’m not a huge fan of Lucy herself, but I like the quick videos. When I started, I worked out for two days and couldn’t walk for three days. I feel like once I get a hang of all of this, it will be easier to incorporate more intense workouts.


MONTH ONE

Weight
220 lbs.
Neck
38 cm.
Left Arm
40.5 cm.
Right Arm
41 cm.
Waist
94.8 cm.
Belly
117.8 cm.
Hips
127 cm.
Left Thigh
78.7 cm.
Right Thigh
76.7 cm.
Left Calf
46.5 cm.
Right Calf
44.4 cm.

In this coming month, I definitely intend on continuing what I’m doing right now. Based on these numbers, I can see a little difference in the measurement of my legs. I’ve clearly gained some weight in the past month, but maybe it’s muscle? I have no idea. I still feel pretty useless at this. I did measure myself about halfway through the month, and it was pretty upsetting to see that I hadn’t made any progress. That set me off track for a while. I decided that I don’t want to do that again this month. It threw me off so much, and I’m not going to let myself do it again. I’m determined to continue this and improve my condition.