Skip to main content

Recently Read - February 2020

I love reading. It is pretty much something at the core of my being. You'll rarely catch me without a book (or two) in my bag. I used to write full book reviews on here, but I think that's a bit much for me at the moment. Also, I simply read too much to keep up to date.

In an effort to simplify my life a little more, I've decided to write mini reviews about the books I've read recently. I may include a few from the past that I received for free, but overall, this will be a little catchup of what I've been reading.



Nobody Cares by Anne T Donahue

I read this book over a year ago and I am still thinking about it today. Donahue's voice is so unique; it is witty yet serious. I often found myself thinking I could be friends with her. Donahue remains personal with the audience which makes this a startling look at reality through the lens of her life. Everyone has been through similar life events and Donahue is clever at taking the mundane parts of life and turning them into life lessons. Nobody Cares is a celebration and exploration of innate human-ness. I rate this book a 4/5 for its personality and relatability. 

The Cut Out Girl – Bart Van Es

               This book is an interesting mix of memory, journal, and pictures. However, this is not the kind of war book I was expecting. This is less about telling the story of the girl in the picture and more about the speaker trying to understand his own life and family story. There are certainly good re-tellings and memories that make things personal for the reader but it could not balance the rest of the story. I found it hard to focus on the writing because it was choppy and simplistic. There was too much history and not a lot of tracking the storyline that would keep me interested. I give this book 1/5 for being hard to follow and not building the story.

Scrappy Little Nobody – Anna Kendrick

               Not the best celebrity autobiography I've ever read. While Anna Kendrick maintain her unique and funny voice throughout, this felt like it was constantly going over "I'm not that famous, I'm just like you" when, in reality, Kendrick has been lucky to have the chances in life that led to her success. I do fully appreciate the spotlight on the lesser known sides of Hollywood's "glamour." I also liked that Kendrick did acknowledge the difficulties of getting to the top. I would suggest this book for any Anna Kendrick fan. I'm not sure anyone else would gain anything from it. I give this book a 2/5 for the lack of interest beyond just being an fan. 


The Testaments – Margaret Atwood


               What a fantastic follow up to Handmaid's Tale. It is a story of female power, the danger of the government in the wrong hands, and the way revolutions can spread. Atwood's writing style and ability to create characters that have distinct voices is second to none. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I give this book a 4/5 for the incredible storyline and for Atwood herself. 

Text Me When You Get Home: The Evolution and Triumph of Modern Female Friendship – Kayleen Schaefer



               After finishing this, I immediately ordered copies for my best friends. It is also the one that inspired last week's post which has been my highest viewed page in a while! This exploration of female friendship is reminder of who got me to where I am now. Schaefer uses anecdotes from her own life, the lives of people around her and media to paint a portrayal of what female friends can do for each other. She covers young friendship, mean girls, loss of friends, and friendship versus romantic relationships. There is a message in there for everyone about the role of friendships in their life. If this doesn't make you want to write your best friends a soppy love letter about how much they mean to you (which I did), then I don't know what will!

Let me know what you've been reading!

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav