Skip to main content

Monthly Favourites - March 2020


What a month. I’m going to discuss anything other than the world burning around us though. After all, there have been some absolutely standout moments that I cannot forget about. I’ve been busy and it has been an exciting one. Relish in this, because I suspect that April’s may be less exciting.

1.      Axe Throwing


I put this as my first favourite fully knowing that the picture that pops up as the main picture for this post IS one of me about to lob an axe. It was at the beginning of this month when my friend texted me to ask if I wanted to go axe throwing to relieve some work stress. It was SO FUN. As if turns out, we’re both terrible at it. In fact, I have the video of the first time I hit the board and my face is full of shock. Despite the sore muscles the next day, I loved this as an activity and we planned to make it a regular thing for us to do.

2.      World Book Day


I mentioned in the last post I wrote (sorry I took a couple weeks off by the way) that it had been World Book Day. I do not even think this is a thing in Canada; I don’t remember it at all. Now that I’m a teacher in the UK, this has become one of my favourite events. My whole department gets really into it and does the whole she-bang with getting dressed up. This year, we did A Christmas Carol and I was the Ghost of Christmas Present. This picture is of the four ghosts, and I think we look incredible.

3.      My Birthday


It was my birthday on Sunday! I must say, it was one of the weirdest birthdays I’ve ever had. To not be able to go out and do something for it was odd. However, I did wake up a little hungover and very loved. I spent the night at my friend’s house and we did what we always do – demolish a few bottles of wine. I think it was the best way to celebrate my birthday this year. We also had cake for breakfast!

4.      Mob Queens


I have become obsessed with this podcast. You all know how much I love a podcast, and this one has been added to my rota. One of the hosts was on a different podcast I listen to and they gave a synopsis of their new show. Mob Queens is about tracking the life of an Italian woman living in New York who was a mob wife. As it turns out, she plays a huge role in the drag scene in New York as well. It’s a fascinating story and its styled similarly to Serial, so if anyone love Serial, I highly suggest this one.

5.      Lists


Even though I said I wasn’t going to talk about the fact that I’m in lockdown right now, I will say this favourite is a direct correlation with being stuck in my flat. I’ve realised as a result of all of this mess, that I’m someone that – despite saying I’m not good at it – needs structure and routine in my life. I’ve used this as an opportunity to get that; it has also been a good way to avoid my actual feelings since I can’t control anything right now. I’ve used list apps before (mentioned in both a monthly favourites post and a previous goals making post), but I wanted something a little more visual. I’ve merged simplistic bullet journaling with the lettering my Year 8s do on all their homework to create this list for the week. So far, I’ve been on the ball!

That is all for the month! I’m going to try and keep things as interesting and new as I can within April tomake sure I stay sane. I mean, there are some shows I’ve been meaning to watch on Netflix anyway. What have you been up to in March?

-        Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Monthly Favourites- February 2016

I don’t know about you, but it feels like February has flown by! I can’t say it’s been a busy month; it’s more like a month of sinking back into routine. Last month, I was so ready to get back to school. It’s been great so far. I’m loving my classes, and I’m doing well with keeping on top of readings. I went to watch The Superbowl with friends (we didn’t make it to halftime), took control of my own body, and I’ve made myself a solid group of friends. I’m really happy. Here’s what got me through the month: 1.        NetGalley     I’m sure you can tell based on the sheer amount of book reviews I’ve been posting, but I have been reading quite a lot. This is all thanks to NetGalley. I have been a member of the site for over a year, but I never really got into it until now. At home, I have an extensive bookshelf, but I couldn’t bring that to the UK with me. I turned to NetGalley, and I have been rewarded. As a member, I request book titles and get a free e-book. In exchange, I have