Skip to main content

Recently Read - March 2020


It hasn’t been that long since I published my last recently read post, but I wanted to keep up to date. I’ve been a bit slow on reading this month since I was away a couple times, so there aren’t as many books as I would have liked. Anyway, here’s what I’ve been reading!

A Man Called Smith – Tanya E Williams – 4 stars


               This book elegantly details the way grief and trauma can be generational. John Smith faced a war overseas where his life was at risk and now faces a war just as trauma-inducing at home. One of the most skillful elements of this book is the duo-perspective. On one hand, we feel for the man who is desperately trying to keep his family life content while aching for his dead wife. On the other hand, we see how his attempts are not suited to his family at all and his daughter is slowly losing her way in the family.

               John’s story is one of grief and heartache. He is trying to cling on to any hope that his family can be a normal one again. He tried so hard to be there for everyone in the way he sees fit. That way is often understated and tainted with grief. He has left the warzone, but he still must fight to keep close everything he knows and loves. Williams brilliantly draws comparisons of the bullet-ridden war and the one he struggles to comprehend at home. It is an interesting look at how his own experiences of life and death have made him a shell of a man.

               His daughter, Calla shares the story of the effects of this war-ridden home. She is put down, abused, and made to be a slave in her own home. Through her perspective, we start to feel for John’s attempts at making her feel better about their situations. We also feel heartbroken in the same ways John does. This is a girl who had to grow up way too fast. Her life bears comparison to her father’s in that way; they were both too young to have their experiences of the world.

               This book is heart-wrenching. It is far from a happy family and beyond a dramatic family. This is the story of an entirely unhappy family trying their best to get through it. Williams writes each of these characters with distinct voices and we feel for each one. The style is brilliant, the story is heart-wrenching, and I would highly suggest this.

               *I was given this book for free from Reedsy in exchange for a review.

The Astonishing Color of After – Emily X. R. Pan – 4.5 stars


               I was absolutely astonished (no pun intended) to learn that this was Pan’s first ever novel. The ways in which she blurs the lines between fantasy, memory, and story and skillful are poignant. This is a YA novel, but the themes of love, family, grief, art, and memory are ones that appeal to all readers.

               This novel covers the life of a teenager desperate to connect with her mother after her tragic suicide. Her and her father, attempting to deal with their separate grief, go to Taiwan where her mother’s family are still living. Leigh starts to learn the truth about her family’s past, her mother’s mental illness, and how to use her art to help her heal.

               The book is structured in distinct categories – “Now” where she is in Taiwan, attempting to find her mother again; the past, where she starts to remember the moments leading up to her mother’s death; memory, where her mother’s past starts to unfold for Leigh; and colour, where the most beautiful descriptions of the world through colour and art are written. Each section has a distinct voice and style, and it is a breathtaking book.

               I can certainly see why Pan has won so many well-deserved awards. While I cannot put this on my favourites list directly, it gets an esteemed 4.5/5 stars for its wonderful style.

Hide Away – Jason Pinter – 3 Stars


               For me, this book was unsatisfying. I was expecting a badass, cool female-centric thriller. Instead, I found a woman so desperate to protect people that she annoyed an entire police force. It lost me a bit when it came to the multiple perspectives and time jumps. I would have liked to stay with Marin’s side of the story because she was the most fascinating person with heartbreaking motives that go beyond simply being a nuisance to detectives.

The skill in this novel is found in the slow unravelling of the backstory of all the characters. As soon as I found myself losing interest, Pinter gave me another breadcrumb to add to the background. The twists are genuinely surprising and for me, this is what saves the story.

*I was given this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for a review.

Transcription – Kate Atkinson – 2 Stars


               I may have missed some of the nuance of this book. I did NOT like it very much. I found it boring and the ending was somehow both insulting to the reader and obvious at the same time. I could not keep the time swaps straight. I found the multiple asides distracting.

               However, I see the merit in the slow plot. Transcribing conversations between Nazi sympathisers probably was very boring. I like the repetition of the question “May I tempt you?” that made you question whether or not everyone was a spy. We also start to see Juliet’s personality change as she takes on different personas as part of her work.  Overall, I didn’t like this book.

Needless to say, I haven’t had a good month for reading. I started off strong and ended on a weak spot. I’m currently really enjoying the book I’m reading, so hopefully next post will be a more positive post.

What have you been reading lately?

-        Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Monthly Favourites- February 2016

I don’t know about you, but it feels like February has flown by! I can’t say it’s been a busy month; it’s more like a month of sinking back into routine. Last month, I was so ready to get back to school. It’s been great so far. I’m loving my classes, and I’m doing well with keeping on top of readings. I went to watch The Superbowl with friends (we didn’t make it to halftime), took control of my own body, and I’ve made myself a solid group of friends. I’m really happy. Here’s what got me through the month: 1.        NetGalley     I’m sure you can tell based on the sheer amount of book reviews I’ve been posting, but I have been reading quite a lot. This is all thanks to NetGalley. I have been a member of the site for over a year, but I never really got into it until now. At home, I have an extensive bookshelf, but I couldn’t bring that to the UK with me. I turned to NetGalley, and I have been rewarded. As a member, I request book titles and get a free e-book. In exchange, I have