Skip to main content

Recently Read - August 2020

Wow, is it already the end of August? I suppose you can tell because of the amount of books I've been reading. I was really worried that I wouldn't have much to write about since I've been busier this month, but I guess I did pretty well here! 

Alias Grace – Margaret Atwood – 4 Stars

        I love Margaret Atwood. I love her style, her characters, and her stories. Add in some false imprisonment and psychological studies, and I’m there. I haven’t read enough Margaret Atwood in my life, so I was thrilled when Alias Grace finally showed up on my library’s eBook selection. I read it instantly.

        The inside look at the minds of all the characters is fascinating. Through correspondents, conversations, and inner dialogue, readers get a sense of the different motivations involved for each character as well as their backstory. It also creates excellent dramatic irony when the characters interact with each other. Ultimately, this is a book about the minds of Grace Marks and Dr Jordan and how they relate to the world around them. What makes it even better is that the events of the book are based on a true story.

        The structure of this book is unique. We get snippets of poems, newspaper headlines, court confessions, letters, and conversations. As readers, we’re pulled every which way in deciding whether or not Grace Marks is actually guilty of her crimes. We’re brought on a full journey of investigation and follow clues and stories. We’re also exposed to some firsthand research on mental illness in criminals. This novel is exciting and interesting. I would suggest for anyone who likes reading about true crime, studying people, and investigatory writing.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane – Neil Gaiman – 4 Stars

        I have a confession to make. This was my first ever book by Neil Gaiman. Maybe my reading theme has been “authors I need to read more of.” I mentioned that I wanted to read his work to a friend and she lent me this book from her fiancé’s shelf. I was hooked from the blurb on the cover.

        This book is filled with magic, imagination, and myth. It is about the innocence of childhood and the ways children are affected by everything around them. The characters and their stories are interesting and inventive. In some of the descriptions, a dark and creepy tone was set which contrasted nicely with the fact that this book centres around children. It’s about the dark forces that interrupt an innocent world.

        It’s a quick read but filled with so many twists and turns. I just love Gaiman’s writing so much. I give it a 4 for the magic it evokes.

Quiet Screams to the Quiet Healer – Nilanjana Haldar – 3 Stars

I am delighted to be reviewing this book at the request from Nilanjana Haldar herself. She sent me a copy in exchange for a review.

In a book that spans the lifetime of her characters, Nilanjana Haldar explores themes of mystery, magic, and the ways in which abuse at home can fuel someone’s purpose. Told through the perspective of Kriti and Sanjana, we see how different life choices and shared experiences shape the way the two girls go about their lives and affects the decisions they make.

The pair meet a series of fascinating characters that serve as touchstone adults throughout their lifetime. They are characters that bring art, culture, and light to their lives and remain focused in the reader’s mind as the plot carries on. As Sanjana grows up, her perspective on these characters change with her as she matures. That development in her thinking is a strength that comes with the time hops in the novel.

A key element in this novel is art. Sanjana often finds herself drawn to art as a way to escape her wretched reality. Through this, she finds a way to take her emotional scarring and heal herself. This character trait is one that makes the readers rejoice. Sanjana becomes the advocate that she wanted to have when she was in her own adolescence. This is a character that has seen and known pain her whole life and chooses to reach out to others so they don’t have to suffer the way she did.

This book is a touching story of a life that needed healing and found that through helping others.

With or Without You – Caroline Leavitt – 3 Stars

Simon and Stella are presented at very different points in searching for their identity. Simon wonders about the past and how he can possibly make amends for his mistakes while Stella has to completely figure out a new identity. What I really like is that these are 40-year-old characters. This book is a reminder that we all change throughout our lives and it’s okay to distance from who you used to be. I expected a mushy-gushy plot, but what I got was a series of surprising decisions that lead to a fully satisfying ending.

        This was dual perspective and it was meh. There was no indication for a switch in voice other than when Stella was in a coma. There was nothing particularly sophisticated about the way the book was written, but it was a thoroughly enjoyable plot. I give this book 3 stars for the unexpected ending but lack of structural interest.

We Could Be Beautiful – Swan Huntley – 3 Stars

        I have no idea why I wanted to read this book, but it has been on my list for a very long time. The secretive premise made me interested and I really enjoy reading about lifestyles of rich people. I get to lose myself in a bit of decadence.

        The characters and their stories are all very interesting and there is an element of mystery that evades readers for so long. Although Catherine West, the main character, remains in a tier completely above my own and therefore unrelatable, I think she was a great character to follow. Her exorbitant lifestyle has engrained naivety in her life, and there were so many times when I thought, “Well, she’s clearly being manipulated.” The dramatic irony of recognizing that every person in Catherine’s life is toxic while also following Catherine’s reasoning makes for an interesting read.

        Be warned – this is not the phycological thriller it claims to be. It’s more subtle and interesting. It’s not for everyone, that’s for sure. For the lack of excitement but the excellent descriptions of lifestyle, I give this book 3 stars.

Impersonation – Heidi Pitlor – 3 Stars

        I am delighted to be reviewing this book from Algonquin Press via NetGalley. It came out on the 18th, and I suggest you pick it up now. I think it’s another fantastic summer read because it’s all about embodying someone else. Allie is a ghostwriter that is struggling to balance her single mom life with her professional life. She has a small support system of eclectic characters, but even they unravel. When she faces her biggest client, she winds up infusing her own life into her client’s book.

        The character of Allie is highly likeable. Her self-conscious voice becomes stronger while embodying the feminist client, and I cheer for her whenever she has a win of any kind. I like how feminist this book is when it comes to not only motherhood but comparing motherhood. I think, ultimately, this book shows mothers that no one does it perfectly.

        I devoured this book in a couple sittings. It’s an easy read and good for feminists – particularly in this time of political upheaval. There isn’t anything particularly sophisticated or surprising about this book but the content is thoroughly enjoyable. This is why I give this book 3 stars.

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orisha #1) – Tomi Adeyemi – 4 Stars

        I have seen this book floating around my friends’ Goodreads pages for such a long time. I’ve only heard marvellous things about it, so I was excited to get started. Now, this isn’t my typical genre, but I love trying new things. The magic and mystery interested me.

        This is an epic story about the return of magic in a world. It involved twists and turns and interesting characters. The characters had their own deep dilemmas and issues that made for interesting dynamics in the groups of people. There were themes of love, friendship, family, and romance encapsulated in one storyline. Although there was a lot of fighting, I didn’t find myself cringing as much as I usually do – I think I was so engrossed that the gory bits simply did not bother me.

        The writing itself evoked so much power. Adeyemi is talented at pacing her writing effectively. The world established does not overwhelm the reader which is what I have found in some other fantasy books. This also takes us through Nigerian mysticism, which is something I, personally, have never read before. It’s an interesting look at a different culture from my own. I think a lot of the oppression and political issues are something that ring true to today’s society. This is a book that everyone should be reading.

The Lotterys More or Less – Emma Donoghue – 4 Stars

        Unlike most of my earliest “to be read” selections on Goodreads, I remember exactly why this book ended up on my list. Emma Donoghue wrote one of my favourite books of all time (a highly select list), and when a new release showed up on a Goodreads newsletter email, I had to add it. Actually, I picked it up last summer, but I didn’t finish it before I left for England again.

        Anyway, I loved this book. Emma Donoghue is so talented at capturing the voice of children. This book is from the perspective of nine-year-old Sumac Lottery. She is in a large family of with two sets of gay parents. This book is set around Christmas time, and Sumac is single-handedly trying to preserve the traditions that are important to her. Naturally, everything goes awry, and we see Sumac struggle with adapting to the changed around her. Having this set in her perspective makes us appreciate how difficult it can be for children to veer from the known path.

        This book represented so much diversity and problem solving. It exposes different types of family structures and cultures all in one story. I can definitely imagine reading this to children and discussing the ways in which Sumac changes and learns throughout the novel. It is chock full of life lessons that are important for kids to learn. This is a thoroughly enjoyable novel for the holiday season.

Book Reviews Posted Elsewhere (all books given to me for free in exchange for a review):

Worldlines – Adam Guest – 4 Stars


https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=153217

Retribution – Stephanie Baldi – 3 Stars

https://reedsy.com/discovery/book/retribution-stephanie-baldi

The Tales of Miss Berta London – Jihan Latimer – 3 Stars

https://reedsy.com/discovery/book/the-tale-of-miss-berta-london-jihan-latimer

Guardian of Deceit – William H. Coles – 2 Stars


https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=155701

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Stars – Matthew Tysz – 2 Stars


https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=157664

As always, if you've read any of these yourself, let me know in the comments!

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Monthly Favourites- February 2016

I don’t know about you, but it feels like February has flown by! I can’t say it’s been a busy month; it’s more like a month of sinking back into routine. Last month, I was so ready to get back to school. It’s been great so far. I’m loving my classes, and I’m doing well with keeping on top of readings. I went to watch The Superbowl with friends (we didn’t make it to halftime), took control of my own body, and I’ve made myself a solid group of friends. I’m really happy. Here’s what got me through the month: 1.        NetGalley     I’m sure you can tell based on the sheer amount of book reviews I’ve been posting, but I have been reading quite a lot. This is all thanks to NetGalley. I have been a member of the site for over a year, but I never really got into it until now. At home, I have an extensive bookshelf, but I couldn’t bring that to the UK with me. I turned to NetGalley, and I have been rewarded. As a member, I request book titles and get a free e-book. In exchange, I have