Skip to main content

Book Review- Miss. Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

 I feel like titles should not be that long at all. Don’t judge. I finished this book about a week ago and I haven’t got the chance to write about it yet. I’m also almost done a different book. I also recently went out and bought a whole bunch of new books. For all you fashionistas/makeup gurus that get excited about a shopping spree, that is me and books. I keep a keep continuous list on my phone if I see a book online that I want to go buy. This week, I got into a discussion with someone who told me to get all my books for free online. I do own an ereader, but it’s not my preference. I like the smell of new books and the sound of a cracking spine when you open a hardcover for the first time. I like seeing all my books lined up on my bookshelf and knowing exactly where to find a book because it’s my own personal library so I put them all there. I have told you before, I am a nerd.





















This book was suggested to me by the same friend who suggested Tell the Wolves I’m Home (find that review here). She is much like me, and I trust her opinion. The biggest difference is that she is brave. What I mean by that is that the book has elements of creepy in it. And it uses pictures to help tell the story. It’s not like a picture book though. The pictures are dispersed throughout the novel in a way that works to add to the plot line. It’s quite brilliant really. And I’m sure I would appreciate it even more if some of the pictures WEREN’T SO FLIPPING SCARY! Example:




















Now see . . . I don’t do scary movies. I got dragged to one once and I slept with the light on for two weeks. But I wanted to continue this book without getting frightened, so in the broad daylight, I got some sticky notes, went into my sister’s room so I wouldn’t be alone and I did this:

                                   














After I covered up all the pictures, I was able to read the book with ease. By the end, I understood what all the pictures meant, and most of them turned out to be not so scary at all. Once the creepiness subsided, I also got into the plot. It’s very mysterious. It follows the story of Jacob Portman, a misunderstood teen who is very attached to his grandpa. His grandpa is a natural story teller and has the pictures to prove his stories. After his grandpa’s death, Jacob seeks to find some truth in the stories, and the discovery of his own identity. Wow, that was like a real book review. There were a few lovely quotes in there too.

Here we go:

1.       “When someone won’t let you in, eventually you stop knocking” (88).
This quote made me think. If you are continually closed off and unsocial, people are never going to understand you. A whole theme in this novel revolves around understanding a man that did not share his life with anyone else, even though he had a wonderful and loving family. You can’t be helped if no one understands you.

2.       “Oggie sat  facing us in a threadbare blazer and pajama bottoms, as if he’d been expecting company- just not pants-worthy company- and rocked endlessly in a plastic-covered chair as he talked” (97).
Okay, I think we can all relate to this. I laughed so hard at this one. I mean, we all have those people that won’t judge you for wearing pyjamas instead of real clothes when you hang out in your house. Or sweatpants. Or yoga pants that you know don’t look good on you.

3.       “We’re peculiar . . . aren’t you” (146)?
First of all, I think the word peculiar is very difficult to say. Now, this quote means something totally different contextually, but I’m going to apply this to reality. We live in a world of conformity. Any difference, whether big or small, makes one stand out in a crowd. Groups of girls walk around dressed in the exact same manner. You know a guy belongs to a group if he has “flow” or uses the same stupid catchphrase as all the other guys. Differences are not praised, or even welcomed. That is why people like me who stays true to themselves are often left out. I am different. I like reading, and I hang out with my family, and I much prefer to have high standards than to be unhappy with settling for anything. So here’s my answer to those who ask why I don’t seem to fit in: “I’m different. Aren’t you?”

4.       “If you must fail . . . fail spectacularly” (326)!
I despise when people say “failure isn’t an option” or “if you’re not first, you’re last.” Here’s the truth: failure is inevitable. At one point (or more hopefully, yes, hopefully) in your life you are going to fail. And here’s something even more shocking: you will be okay. It is okay to feel upset, or hurt, or angry, but do NOT let that consume you. Take all that passion and put into making the next step bigger and brighter! Put every ounce of yourself into your goals, and make failing amazing.

I got into this book only at the end. I found that it took a long time to get the story going. There was a lot of creepy build up, which is fine, but I think it was a bit much. And since I’m a scaredy-cat, the creepy parts did not settle well with my sleeping. The sequel just recently came out, and I don’t think I’m interested in buying it. The pictures are a lot less scary though. I give this book 3.5/5 stars.

If you have any suggestions for me, leave me a comment!


-Daniella

Comments

  1. Those photos still give me the creeps!
    I don't know if I could actually read this one
    -MJ
    Marlee and You

    ReplyDelete
  2. this seems really scary, but really good! i'll have to check it out! :) And i love your blog! and can't wait to read more! I also followed you on GFC and bloglovin!

    Also I'm new to blogging and i'm trying to meet some fellow bloggers so I'd love if you had some time if you could check out my blog and let me know what you think! it'd be greatly appreciated! And maybe even follow me on bloglovin or gfc if you like and want to!

    thanks so much xoxo Randa
    http://pandaraige.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure! You'll have to let me know what your reactions are! Thanks for the feedback :)
    I'll be sure to check you out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav