Skip to main content

Pinterest Challenge- DIY Knotted T-Shirt Headband

Look at this! Three posts in one week! And guess what! This is going to be a regular thing. I know, good for me. Let me tell you; when I got my weekly Bloglovin’ stats back and it told me I had -1 new followers, that hit a soft spot. I was losing followers per week. My page views are going down, and I’m not getting comments anymore. So I sat down and I figured out exactly what I want to do and when I want to do it. Now I’m just crossing my fingers hoping that I get some support back.

Part of my new thing is these weekly Pinterest challenge posts! I have been looking all over Pinterest (not that that’s the challenge) for new activities or recipes or crafts to try out. And I am not crafty. Despite this fact, I decided to try a craftier activity. I have recently started to reorganize my closet and clothes, so I had a whole bunch of old t-shirts that I didn’t have room for. It’s a little difficult to donate t-shirts with names of people you don’t even talk to on the back. So I took to Pinterest for a solution. I found this idea to make headbands out of the shirts on Sugar Bee Crafts. The result is super cute headbands, and I ended up making a whole bunch. It was a great solution, and it helped me practice my sewing. Also, I made use of this collage thing I found. Clearly. It’s relatively easy to follow and I have step by step pictures for you!

Cutting out the back of your t-shirt.


















I used the entire back of my t-shirt. I suggest start with the whole back, right up to the collar as seen here, because you can always cut it shorter after you make the knot.

Making “t-shirt yarn.”



















1.      Cut the back of the t-shirt into six strips. The strips can be thick or thin. I started by measuring ¾ in., but I ended up just using my discretion by the end.
2.       Tightly pull the ends of the strips.
3.       The edges of the strip should curl in.

Tying the knot.



















1.       Separate the strips into two groups of three and start by putting one group of three strips in a ribbon shape.
2.       Place the other group of three strips in a smiley shape on top of the ribbon shape.
3.       Bring the right part of the ribbon underneath the smiley shape.
4.       Bring the left side of the smiley underneath the loop so you can see it.
5.       Cross the right part of the smiley underneath the piece that is in the middle of the loop.
6.       You should end up with a loopy cross pattern.
7.       Gather all the ends together.
8.       Pull the ends and adjust the knot if necessary.
9.       The final knot should look like this.
*if the pictures or words don’t do it for you, you can find the video tutorial here*

Sewing the loose ends.



















1.       The ends of the headband may by uneven.
2.       Snip the ends so they are even.
3.       Grab the adjoining ends of two strips.
4.       Sew the adjoining ends an inch from the end of the headband.
5.       Continue up and down all the rest of strips so all the strips are sewed together.

Connecting the ends.



















1.      Sew the ends of the headband together. It does not need to be pretty. Just make sure there is nothing sticking out, and it will actually hold together.
2.       Cut the sleeve off of the t-shirt.
3.       Cut the sleeve so it becomes one large strip.
4.       Cut a chunk of the sleeve large enough to cover the ends of the headband.
5.       Place one edge of the chunk around the back and sew it down.
6.       Wrap the rest of the chunk around the back and sew it all around the edges.
*yes, the t-shirt colour switched, the white one didn’t work out the same way*

And there you have it! I loved this project. It took me about an hour to make a whole headband.  Which means I spent five hours to make all of my headbands. It was just too much fun! You could easily switch up the colours of the strips to make some multi-coloured headbands, or make them patriotic! It did take some time to figure it out. My first attempt was a fail, and way too small for my head! The aftermath was also disastrous. My room was a complete mess. So many scraps all over the place! And I don’t think the t-shirts fuzzies will ever come out of my blanket. I do NOT suggest doing this on a bed.
Remember that you can find all of my Pinterest completed challenges on my board. Please let me know if you make this, and send me a picture of the ones you make!


-Daniella

P.S. Shoutout to my sister Brianne for taking pictures for me! She’s a great photographer, so check her out on Instagram: bri_poloni

Comments

  1. oh my gosh! are those your results in the first picture?
    those are too cute!!
    I'm impressed
    -MJ
    from Marlee and You

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Monthly Favourites- February 2016

I don’t know about you, but it feels like February has flown by! I can’t say it’s been a busy month; it’s more like a month of sinking back into routine. Last month, I was so ready to get back to school. It’s been great so far. I’m loving my classes, and I’m doing well with keeping on top of readings. I went to watch The Superbowl with friends (we didn’t make it to halftime), took control of my own body, and I’ve made myself a solid group of friends. I’m really happy. Here’s what got me through the month: 1.        NetGalley     I’m sure you can tell based on the sheer amount of book reviews I’ve been posting, but I have been reading quite a lot. This is all thanks to NetGalley. I have been a member of the site for over a year, but I never really got into it until now. At home, I have an extensive bookshelf, but I couldn’t bring that to the UK with me. I turned to NetGalley, and I have been rewarded. As a member, I request book titles and get a free e-book. In exchange, I have