Skip to main content

The Secret of the (Non) Stink- Product Review

This is a post about deodorant. Just a heads up. I am part of a website called BzzAgent. It gives members the opportunity to fill out surveys about your lifestyle and you can get free stuff based on your answers. All you have to do is share it on social media (I’m still trying to figure out a way to post it on Instagram without making it sound like a cheesy ad) and be honest about whether you like it or not. So I mean, it’s a good idea. I went crazy on filling out the surveys when I applied for membership, and I got a match for an upcoming campaign within a week. I suppose I am lucky. For this campaign, I received Secret Outlast Clear Gel in Ooh-La-La Lavender. Receiving deodorant in the mail is quite the experience, let me tell you. First issue: how the heck do you write a blog post about deodorant? Second issue: how does one go about taking pictures of deodorant that are decent enough to be put on the Internet (Google is useless in this matter)? My conclusion: I decided to wing it. 

As you can see from my picture of the three deodorants, I was no stranger to this brand. I have not had much luck with deodorant in the past. I find that a lot of it ends up covering the smell without masking it. As in, you know you’re trying to hide a smell. When it comes to Secret brand, I have never been disappointed with the results. I have used both the original style and this lavender style, but I preferred the lavender. Just to add an opposing view here, my sister thought it was too strong a scent. I loved that at the end of the day, I still knew I was wearing deodorant, even if I was in a “sweatin’ in my boots” kind of day. I’ve tried roll-on, I’ve tried organic, I’ve tried solid, but this gel deodorant is the most sufficient. As I said, it does not feel like it is covering up a smell, but creates a long-lasting (and good) smell of its own.

This deodorant promises some hefty things. I know you’ve seen the ads. So let’s talk about it.

It promises: “fast drying ingredients to evaporate in seconds”

The truth: Oh, it certainly does! I work at a pool. Chlorine kills off the deodorant, but all I need is a swipe of the stick and I’m good to go for the rest of my shift. And I don’t need to hold my arms up to wait for it to dry, which is apparently a problem. I did find that I was waiting when I tried roll-on deodorant.

It promises: “permeate sweat glands faster and more efficiently than invisible solid deodorant” and “stop odour before it starts”

The truth: Agreed. As I mentioned above, I never felt as if there was some gross scent underneath the scent of the deodorant. We’ve all been there. This is some cool science.

It promises: “bid farewell to white marks”

The truth: You know when you’re shopping and trying on clothes and you see someone else’s armpit mark on the shirt (I always imagine it to be an old lady) and you can only think about the fact that this article of clothing was on someone else’s armpit? Well, you will now have full confidence that no one will be grossed out by your armpit marks because there will not be any. That actually may be grosser.

It promises: “minimizes odour-causing bacteria for longer-lasting, 48 hour odour protection”

The truth: Apparently, this has something to do with the pH in the deodorant. I mean, sure. I trust you. It does last all day, but I have not tested it out for 48 hours. However, if you’re going to go out a night, let’s say, and then you’re not going to home to shower after, hypothetically, then your deodorant will still be working the next day. Not sure about the state of your hair or face or breath though. But seriously, I always crash at my friends’ houses because I live too far away from downtown. I trust my deodorant to do the trick.

Overall impression? Great! Awesome! Loved it! Will I buy it again? Well, not for a while because I have three, but definitely when I run out. I suggest it. So go for it! And let me know if you do, because it would be cool to know if someone actually takes my advice.

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav