Skip to main content

How to be Successful

It’s April. That means school is wrapping up, and exams are starting. It’s the final stretch. I need to keep my head in the game more than ever if I want to end this year successful. On page 30 of Glamour’s November 2014 issue, there is an article about women in technology. The women interviewed shared their tips on how to be successful, and some of the quotes stood out to me, so I want to integrate their ideas into what I believe are the tools one needs to get to top. Being successful could mean anything to you. There’s a general sense of accomplishment in a successful life, getting the promotion at your job, or getting that A on your final paper. Whatever it means to you, I hope you find these tips useful.

1.       Be yourself.
 
I mentioned this way back in my tips for school post, but I need to reiterate it. As Ishani Mukherjee says in the Glamour article, “there’s nothing like kicking ass and doing yourself proud.” When you look back on your achievements, you will feel much better if you put yourself into every step of the process rather than a carbon copy of what you think everyone is looking for. You cannot expect things to be easier by following someone else’s rules when it’s easier to make up your own. It’s not the easiest route to take, but you can consider it a personal success if you were yourself throughout your journey. 

2.       Have passion.

[source]
I’ve probably mentioned this before, but I find that passion is one of the best qualities in people. I admire people with passion, and there’s something about watching the twinkle in someone’s eye when they’re talking about something they deeply care about. If you put passion into what you do, others will see it. Of course, not everything will spark passion, but as long as you keep a general outlook with passion in mind, you’re golden. Maggie Mallon says “let the quality of work speak for itself,” and when you’re passionate about your work, it will emanate through to the people that matter.

3.        Focus on the end goal.

I find that a lot of people lose sight of their end goal when they find the steps to get there become menial. The thing is, every step you take is getting you where you need to go. Cindi Leive adds her own career tidbit by saying “take the job that needs doing and kill it.” In context, doing the small things in a big way for an internship will make you stand out. In a more general sense, put all you can be into everything you do, because it’s all towards a larger cause. For example, yes, research is the worst part of an essay, but the quality you put into it will get you one step close to an A. 

4.       It’s okay to mess up.

News flash: you’re human. It happens. I once pulled an all-nighter in high school to finish a huge project because I realized I did the wrong research. And that’s okay. I realized my mistake, and I did what I could to fix it. Lesson learned: re-read everything before you move on to another step. You’re going to make a mistake at some point in that journey towards your end goal. And you know, you're probably going to make more than one. It does not define who you are. It’s where you go from there that determines your worth as a student, employee, person...whatever! 


5.       Know when to ask for help.
 
So maybe this comes after the previous step. You’ve made a mistake, and you don’t know how to fix it. So ask. Ask your boss, your co-worker, your mom. Or maybe you just plain don’t know at all. I’ve had many friends call me to ask about formatting for an essay or to edit their work. The people around you are resources. Sometimes, you can’t do it on your own, and realizing that makes you a strong person. 
 
6.       You are the most important.
 
I also said this in my tips for school post, but once again, I think this is important. As a student, I need my time to do my own things. I can’t keep up with the go go go and expect to come out 100% on the other side. School is draining. That is why it is so important to take care of yourself. You have to keep in tune with your mental and physical health. I’m at this point right now where I’m feeling better, but I had to give up a late night movie with my friends because my body can’t physically handle late nights right now. It’s a sacrifice to make because I need to take care of myself. It’s your life, so make sure you come first. 

7.       Keep a good perspective.
 
[source]
Similarly to #4, there will be setbacks. Things may not go your way, your path may be blocked, or you may fall down altogether. These moments are the ultimate test on you as a person. By keeping a good perspective, you allow yourself to see past the little things (even if they seem big at the moment), and focus on the bigger picture. Keep that end goal in mind. You can get past it. 

8.       Surround yourself with good people.

I would consider myself a successful person, and a huge part of that is because of the people I am with on a daily basis. I wrote a post about the importance of friendship a while back, and all that stuff still rings true. But I’m not just talking about friendship here. Surround yourself with not only people that will raise you up, but people you admire. If you think the woman or man who works next to you has killer work ethic, ask them what their motivation is and learn from them. If you surround yourself with people who share a common goal, you give yourself the opportunity to grow with them and learn from them.
Of course, this list is a result of only 20 years of learning. I have so much more to learn and so much more life to lead. Hopefully you got something out of this. Everyone has what it takes to be successful. It’s just a matter of how to get there.

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Monthly Favourites- February 2016

I don’t know about you, but it feels like February has flown by! I can’t say it’s been a busy month; it’s more like a month of sinking back into routine. Last month, I was so ready to get back to school. It’s been great so far. I’m loving my classes, and I’m doing well with keeping on top of readings. I went to watch The Superbowl with friends (we didn’t make it to halftime), took control of my own body, and I’ve made myself a solid group of friends. I’m really happy. Here’s what got me through the month: 1.        NetGalley     I’m sure you can tell based on the sheer amount of book reviews I’ve been posting, but I have been reading quite a lot. This is all thanks to NetGalley. I have been a member of the site for over a year, but I never really got into it until now. At home, I have an extensive bookshelf, but I couldn’t bring that to the UK with me. I turned to NetGalley, and I have been rewarded. As a member, I request book titles and get a free e-book. In exchange, I have