Skip to main content

Monthly Favourites- December 2015

Happy New Year! I know people are typically coming out with their reflections and resolutions at this time, and as soppy as I am as a person, I just don't believe in that stuff. That whole "1 of 365 pages" post that has been floating around makes me feel like I'm at the beginning of an essay that I haven't prepared for. So I'm going to continue on with what I would normally do- a favourites post.

1. Parker Pen

The only thing I wanted for Christmas this year was a pen. I was blessed (yes, blessed) with a Parker pen. I am a complete nerd when it comes to things like this, and this pen is the best pen I have ever written with. It makes my writing look better, and it glides across the page with ease. I have used it only to write in my journal, but I can't wait to write a full letter or postcard. I am certainly nerding out over it.

2. Paperchase

I love stationary. I collect stationary. Therefore, stationary stores are my weakness. I first found a Paperchase store when I was in Bath, and I was delighted to find one in Leeds as well. I may have a problem. I've been there a few times in the past month. To give you an idea of how bad my problem is, I went in there to get a Thank You card and came out with two news sets of paper. To further my point, I also spent some time on the "sale" section of the website when I went to retrieve the link. As someone wise said to me, there are worse things to be addicted to.

3. Fudge
[via Instagram]

I have missed out on baking with my mom this year. I was in a meet the parents situation over the holidays, and I brought homemade fudge as a way to win them all over. My mom sent me the recipe for Carnation 5 Minute Fudge to make in my flat. It's an easy recipe, and everyone loved it! I had some ingredients leftover, so I made some for New Year's Eve, and I have plenty left to snack on.

4. New Year's Intentions

I know this wasn't meant to be about reflections, but bear with me for a minute. I don't believe in New Year's resolutions. I know there's arguments about the fact that you can change anytime of the year, and that is entirely true. But I like the idea of starting off a new year with intentions rather than resolutions. I find that resolutions tend to set me up for failure. So instead of "I want to work out" I say "I intend to be healthier." I find that setting general intentions allow me to be flexible throughout the year. So "healthier" can mean anything from cutting down the snacking to taking the long walk home from school.

5. World Juniors
[source]
I am slightly disheartened to add this to my list now seeing as Canada was just knocked out of the quarter-finals. However, the World Juniors have been one of the highlights of my holiday season for a few years now. I always used to watch it with my dad, but I've been managing to watch in Leeds with a partner all too willing to partake in any kind of sports spectacle. It's extra special to me knowing I can share in this passion from across the world as well.

December was a good month. I ended the year in the best possible way, and I'm excited to see what is coming up next!

Do you have any monthly favourites or favourites from your year?

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav