Skip to main content

Monthly Favourites- July 2016

I’m entirely disappointed that I missed May but oh well. July has been a busy month. I started working this month, and I’ve been very busy with that. I’m working at a small pool this summer, and I was worried that I wasn’t going to get many hours. However, I’ve been picking up a decent amount of shifts at other pools. I missed mentioning this before the summer, but I was rather nervous about starting a new position this year, but I’ve settled in well, and I’d say I’m doing a pretty good job too. I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished so far. This post isn’t work related, but since that’s what’s been taking up most of my time, I have to mention it.

1.       Revlon Black Cherry Lipstick


I’ve been out a few times since I’ve been back. Every time I’ve been out, I’ve worn this lipstick. It goes on really dark, but after blotting it with tissues, it looks so good. This picture was from my sister's 19th birthday, and it worked so well with my outfit. I’ve always been a fan of lipstick (throwback to last January), but this is one I was sceptical of for a while. I didn’t like how dark it was at first in all honesty. It makes me feel like the best possible version of myself. I feel cool and mysterious and kind of sexy, and that’s exactly how accessories are supposed to make you feel.

2.       Bachelorette Party


As of today, my best friend’s getting married in less than a week! A few weeks ago, I hosted the best ever bachelorette (yes, I’m tooting my own horn on this one). Marlee’s not into the whole strippers/huge night out thing. Instead, it ended up being the ultimate girl’s night. I’ll be posting specifics later in August. We went out to dinner downtown and had the most delicious drinks there, and then, we came back to my house for the party stuff. Of course, you can’t have a bachelorette without something phallic, so there was a cheese ball penis. That was fun.

3.       Podcasts

[source]
Okay. So I didn’t really listen to music when I was away. Then, I come back, and I don’t know what happened to music. Why is everything so repetitive? I think I like about three songs on the radio right now. As a solution, I’ve started listening to podcasts instead. My favourite will always be Not Too Deep with Grace Helbig, but I listen to a few others now. It makes driving so much better. I listen to one called Happier, and I’ve started to incorporate some of the tips into my life and my workplace. I strongly suggest giving it a listen.

4.       Returning Home Article


I mentioned in my last lessons learned that I was having a tough time adjusting to being back at home. It’s really hard to explain, and I don’t want to dedicate a whole post to something I can’t quite describe.  My friend sent me an article from Elite Daily called Why Returning From Travel Is Harder Than Leaving The Comfort Of Home. I was talking to this friend, and she described the same types of things I was going through. The best way to describe it is “walking around a museum of my old life.” This article helped me understand how I was feeling and why I’ve been struggling with certain things upon my return. I don’t have a solution to this. I don’t have advice. I’m just trying to understand it myself. Thanks to that friend for her immense love and support. The one great thing about being away is this picture - opening Christmas presents while eating Easter candy in June.

5.       Exploding Unicorn Twitter


This. Twitter. Account. Oh my goodness, it is hilarious. Exploding Unicorn from James Breakwell is a series of Tweets inspired by his children and wife. The amount of times I’ve taken a screenshot to send to Matt because it made me laugh is ridiculous. I actually subscribed to get a notification every time he Tweets something. His kids are adorable, and they constantly have Nerf wars/Star Wars fights/how to survive a zombie apocalypse tutorials. It’s priceless. Do yourself a favour and check it out.

So this month was clearly a busy one, and August is about to get even busier. I'm going to be working a lot more, getting ready to start school, train for o-week, and, most importantly, Marlee's getting married in a week! It feels like it's been so long since they got engaged, and I can't wait to be a part of their special day. In other news, I've realized recently that I'm not very good at being productive in more than one aspect of my life. For example: I was really good at working out every day in the beginning of the summer, but once I started working, that fell behind. My goal for these coming weeks as I get busier is to go slow and stay productive in all aspects of my life. I'll keep you posted.

What were your favourite things in July? Any big plans for August?

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Monthly Favourites- February 2016

I don’t know about you, but it feels like February has flown by! I can’t say it’s been a busy month; it’s more like a month of sinking back into routine. Last month, I was so ready to get back to school. It’s been great so far. I’m loving my classes, and I’m doing well with keeping on top of readings. I went to watch The Superbowl with friends (we didn’t make it to halftime), took control of my own body, and I’ve made myself a solid group of friends. I’m really happy. Here’s what got me through the month: 1.        NetGalley     I’m sure you can tell based on the sheer amount of book reviews I’ve been posting, but I have been reading quite a lot. This is all thanks to NetGalley. I have been a member of the site for over a year, but I never really got into it until now. At home, I have an extensive bookshelf, but I couldn’t bring that to the UK with me. I turned to NetGalley, and I have been rewarded. As a member, I request book titles and get a free e-book. In exchange, I have