Skip to main content

Lesson Learned - PGCE Year


Hello hello, friends! I can’t believe how long it has been since I’ve done one of these posts.

Reading over the one from last year, it’s hard to believe that graduation wasn’t that long ago.

Now, here I am at the end of my full-time education career. I now get to enter an actual career!

This year has simultaneously been the longest and quickest year of my life. The days were long, but the weeks were short. Naturally, that came with some learning.


1.       No roommate is perfect, and it’s not always their fault.

Living with people is hard. Everyone has grown up valuing different things as part of a household. It can be really hard to bridge everyone’s expectations.

As a result, people start judging others for their ways of living.

I think the important thing to keep in mind that no one is perfect, and you also have flaws that the others will pick apart.

I, for example, am loud and I sometimes forget to wash my dishes or pick up my laundry from the drying room. I’m sure there are a million other things that people didn’t like about living with me. But I recognize that.

They’re not perfect, and neither am I.

3.        I care way too much about what people think, and it deeply affects my life.

This revelation struck me so hard that I was “off” for a solid four days.

In a situation I knew was a misunderstanding on someone else’s part, I couldn’t get over the fact that they still didn’t like me.

It’s an issue I need to get over, and if you have any tips, PLEASE leave me a comment or email me (daniella.realnotideal@gmail.com)



4.       Lean on the people around you. If they love you, you are NOT a burden.

This PGCE year was really difficult. I wish I had leaned on people a little more.

I had Matt and my family, but I wish I had reached out to my coursemates. They all knew what I was going through because they were going through the same thing.

I think everyone has trouble reaching out because they think they are a burden on other people. Well, you couldn’t be more incorrect.

My friends have always made time for me, and I should have recognized that way sooner.

5.       Always take the high road. You will feel better.

In high stress situation, it is so easy to start finger pointing and sinking to petty things. It’s not worth it. Everyone will just end up feeling like dirt.

Leave a mark you’re proud of. Even if things haven’t gone quite right, always leave people with an impression that shows that you are a good person.

Be proud of the way you have fought your fight. At the end of the day, they’ll forget what you’ve said, but you still need to live with the damage you’ve done.



6.       Find the thing you need at the end of a day.

I realized that the most important thing to me at the end of a day is to talk about it.

My roommate and I had this amazing arrangement where we didn’t have a conventional conversation. I would lie on her bed, and we would both talk about our days. We would never respond to what the other was saying. We would just move on with our next anecdote.

It sounds odd, but it worked so well for me. It felt so good to get out all the bad and all the good. She, and those conversations, is what kept me sane this year.

7.       I am doing exactly what I’m supposed to be doing.

Out of everything that has happened this year, this is what I am the proudest of.

 For me, teaching was the easy part. I knew I could always stand up in front of a classroom and be completely myself despite any personal issues.

 I think that’s a sign that I’m on the right path.


This year has seen some interesting times. Everyone has said that the PGCE year is the hardest.

I can’t help but look forward to my next year. However, I’m not going to wish this time away. This is my last summer of freedom, and I’m going to take advantage of all the time I have.


More on that later.
What have you learned this year? Have you had any of the same experiences?

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Monthly Favourites- February 2016

I don’t know about you, but it feels like February has flown by! I can’t say it’s been a busy month; it’s more like a month of sinking back into routine. Last month, I was so ready to get back to school. It’s been great so far. I’m loving my classes, and I’m doing well with keeping on top of readings. I went to watch The Superbowl with friends (we didn’t make it to halftime), took control of my own body, and I’ve made myself a solid group of friends. I’m really happy. Here’s what got me through the month: 1.        NetGalley     I’m sure you can tell based on the sheer amount of book reviews I’ve been posting, but I have been reading quite a lot. This is all thanks to NetGalley. I have been a member of the site for over a year, but I never really got into it until now. At home, I have an extensive bookshelf, but I couldn’t bring that to the UK with me. I turned to NetGalley, and I have been rewarded. As a member, I request book titles and get a free e-book. In exchange, I have