Skip to main content

Fake It 'Til You Make It

I am someone who reflects on my life a lot. This is both good and bad. Bad because I realize some sad or upsetting things. Good because I have been able to pull myself out of funks or make a change that was needed. But change is one of those really scary words. It takes guts to realize where your life needs work and put your thoughts to action and it’s intimidating to figure out where to take the first step. I prefer to take small steps in order to reach a bigger goal. Let’s face it, you have probably been in that “I need to change” mindset but then forgotten what you thought was a good idea to change. You get all caught up in the bigger goals without focusing on the smaller things needed to achieve the ultimate goal. My ultimate goal at hand? My love life.

I have a fantastic family, and the most amazing friends. Where I’m lacking is truly the love department. In fact, it is something I am lacking in confidence. It’s all about my history with guys. And what I mean by that is…I have none. I’m okay with that at this point. A relationship is not something I am scrounging for. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn’t, it doesn’t. But I want to change my lack of confidence. How do I do that? Fake it ‘til I make it. That motto does not apply to many situations, but I have used it to great success before. For example: you’re upset because you had a fight with a friend but you need to be happy in your work environment. Fake it and it won’t be so hard after a while. Example: You are nervous for a job interview and not sure what to expect. Fake it by dressing really well and you’ll feel more confident. It seems odd, but it works.
[source]

So how do I apply this to my day to day situations? There’s a cute guy at a bar/sitting next to me/he’s my waiter. The key is to not give yourself time to think. Let’s face it, we’ve all been in situations where we overthink what we’re going to say and then we talk ourselves out of it. So don’t think. Seize the instant moment when you want to say something.

Example: Cute bartender has been making your drinks “with love” all night (he said it, not me).

What I said: “Hey! I’m Daniella. Thanks for making my drinks and I think you’re really cute.”

Outcome: He blushed and giggled and said thanks. I felt good knowing I made his night.

Example: Waiter has been teasing me because I was driving so I ordered a Shirley Temple.

What I said: “You have a wonderful smile”

Outcome: He smiled that wonderful smile at me, and, once again, I made someone’s night.

Example: Guy sitting next to me in a work zone at school and had laughed at my conversation earlier.

What I said: “I hope we didn’t bother you too much”

Outcome: He joked that he had a midterm and then we talked about sunsets. Also, my friends gave me the “omigod you’re talking to a cute guy and I am so proud of you” look.

So as we can see, I put myself out there. It was scary. But I didn’t die, and I didn’t shrivel up. I’m a chronic blusher, so that’s about all that happened. And really truly honestly, the best thing for me has just been not thinking. I say what I want to say. I’m not about to come up with some wicked opening line. I’m just not that smooth. So I’m myself. I say exactly what I want to say when the feeling strikes me. I wanted to change this part of my life, and I am actively taking the steps needed. Am I feeling more confident? Not yet. But I’m getting there. And who knows? Maybe the next guy I talk to will be the one that asks me out.

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Monthly Favourites- February 2016

I don’t know about you, but it feels like February has flown by! I can’t say it’s been a busy month; it’s more like a month of sinking back into routine. Last month, I was so ready to get back to school. It’s been great so far. I’m loving my classes, and I’m doing well with keeping on top of readings. I went to watch The Superbowl with friends (we didn’t make it to halftime), took control of my own body, and I’ve made myself a solid group of friends. I’m really happy. Here’s what got me through the month: 1.        NetGalley     I’m sure you can tell based on the sheer amount of book reviews I’ve been posting, but I have been reading quite a lot. This is all thanks to NetGalley. I have been a member of the site for over a year, but I never really got into it until now. At home, I have an extensive bookshelf, but I couldn’t bring that to the UK with me. I turned to NetGalley, and I have been rewarded. As a member, I request book titles and get a free e-book. In exchange, I have