Skip to main content

I Am Terrified About My Future - And That's Okay

Life is about change. You can't ignore it. You can't avoid it. As the saying goes, "can't go over it. Can't go under it. Have to go through it." And go through it I have. Recently, life has been a matter of setting myself up for the future. Namely, I finished applying for Teacher's College. I have applied to six different schools in two different countries. Each time I pressed the submit button, I felt like I couldn't breathe. Now my future is in the hands of people I don't know. I'm questioning everything. I've know that I wanted to be a teacher since I was eight years old, but is that enough? Does my passion come across on paper? Have my experiences been enough? Am I good enough for this? Everyone I know tells me I would be a good teacher. Even people I don't know like Aquafitters and random acquaintances have pinpointed the characteristics that would make me a good teacher. However, the people that are deciding my future don't know me. They don't know how much I love teaching. They don't know how much strength and energy I draw from it. Are these institutions going to see that in me?


There's another major element in this. I have applied in two different countries. I have applied in Canada, and I have applied in England. Both of these options have major positives and negatives. Choosing one over another closes doors. It may alter the most important relationships I have in my life. I find myself worried that whatever decision I choose to make will result in some not so pleasant consequences. I know what I want to do. I know what my ideal situation is. In that ideal, I don't have loved ones that are disappointed in me. At the moment, I feel like if I choose to do what I want to do, then I will become a disappointment. I don't know if I can live with that. Both choices will put strain on relationships. Both choices will result in sacrifices. Both choices will result in a period of unhappiness. I'm concerned that the choices I make will alter relationships as I know them. I was listening to a podcast a while ago where Josh Radnor from How I Met Your Mother said something along the lines of "the decisions I make now are all shouldered from the decisions I made at that point in my life." Well, I am at that point in my life. This feels like a lot of pressure.


Here is what I need to remember: I cannot live my life to make other people happy. My loved ones will love me no matter what. I have to worry about one thing at a time. I will become a teacher. It is okay to be scared. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. For anyone else who is getting ready to graduate, you need to know that you're not alone. I was in a conversation with my dad about this a while ago. He has his own hesitations about what is to come for me. However, he told me this is an exciting time. I have some really cool opportunities ahead of me. I had a friend once who was nervous about going on exchange. I told her it's daunting in the beginning, but all you have to do is put your big girl pants on, take a deep breath, and do it. And that is what I shall do.


Daniella

P.S. I wrote this in a very difficult time. I am now in a completely different position from where I was when I wrote this. Lesson learned: there is hope. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav