Skip to main content

Monthly Favourites - June 2018


If I take a good, long look at June, I’ve done pretty much everything in one month.

 I’ve been to a wedding, finished my placement, got my degree, been out with friends in two different countries, moved out of TWO places (I helped my sister with hers), toured with my parents, moved back to Canada, and spent an entire day in a pool. I’ve lived a whole lifetime this month. 

Of course, there have been some highlights.

1.       Finishing Placement


Of course I put this on my favourites list this month! As I said in my last post, it was a hard year. 

The feeling of walking out of that school was the most uplifting feeling. I got to say my goodbyes, received some lovely cards, and my mentor was kind enough to get some gifts to set me up in my new classroom. 

On the last day of uni, we got cake and prosecco (my tutor kept filling my glass up – with no argument from me) and celebrated in the evening. 

I am SO proud to call myself a teacher now.

2.       Reading Eleonor Oliphant is Completely Fine


Guys. This. Book. This book. I cannot suggest it enough. 

I’ll write a full review on it later (latest one here), but this was just an outstanding book. 

I picked it up after hearing so much about it and read it in three sittings. My mom read it in two days. 

This is the best book I have read in a long time. 

fact, reading it made it so much more difficult for me to get into any other book after it. 

Just go buy it already!

3.       Makeup


Anyone who knows me knows I’m not particularly skilled at what Matt refers to as “womanning.” I’ve never worn makeup before, but something changed this year. 

I needed to start wearing makeup just to differentiate myself from the kids I was teaching. If they’re all taller than me, I can’t also have acne-ridden skin like them. 

At the beginning of the month, a good friend took me out to buy proper makeup after hearing my complaints about my other one flaking off. 

I’m happy to say I’m getting way more into it now. It makes me feel confident and glow-y and covered. It’s not a regular thing for me, but I like how I feel when I do have it on.

4.       Singing My Contract


This might have been the most monumental moment for me. Everything feels so official now. 

I am happy to announce that I will be an English Teacher in England starting in September. I got this job back in January, but I got everything sorted this month. 

I also went to the school for a couple observation days. The more time I spend there, the more comfortable I get. I already fit in so well, and I know it will be my new home. 

I’ve wanted to be a teacher since I was 8 years old, and it’s actually happening. I get to live my dream.

5.       Coming Home


As great as it was to get my teaching degree, nothing will beat coming home. 

I spent my first week with my sister and the past week has been dedicated to friends. 

I am so happy here. I’ve finally unpacked (although there is a huge, overwhelming pile of clean laundry to put away), and it is SO nice to have the time to myself. 

I’ve missed my bed and my family and my pool and my friends and my kitchen and all of it. 

Dorothy has a point – there’s no place like home.

This might be the best month of 2018 so far! The next couple months will certainly be more relaxing and less busy, and I look forward to all of it.

What have been your June favourites? Leave me a comment below!

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav