Skip to main content

August in Pictures


Since last month's post went pretty well, and quite a few people viewed it, I’m going to go ahead and declare this a new monthly post! I have been loving going through all the pictures on my phone to see what I got up during the month. It’s also making me more mindful about what I’m taking pictures of. I’m never the person who whips out their phone to take pictures all the time (travelling being the exception), so I’ve been choosing my moments carefully.

What do I want to remember? What emotion is this moment connected to? Curating this post is a great way to connect to the way I’ve been feeling this month.


The one thing people who know me understand is that I am the queen of grilled cheese. I spearheaded #grilledcheesefriday a few years ago, and it’s something I’ve carried on since. Once I could finally eat solid food again, I was thrilled to bring my weekly ritual back.


On the August long weekend, my dad and I went on a little canoe trip. We honestly can’t figure out who came up with the idea, but it was the perfect day. We went to the beach afterwards and cooked hot dogs in the picnic area. It meant so much just to be able to hang out with Papa for the day.


Maybe this ice cream will become a regular August special item seeing as it was featured in last year's August favourites. My parents treated me to my favourite ice cream place from my hometown. It is allergy friendly, and DE. LI. CIOUS. I wish I could have some now.


This. Sunset. What about this sunset? I mentioned that we went to Sunset Point at MacGregor Point, and I still can’t get over how beautiful this was.


This has to be the thing I am the proudest of right now. As a way to combat boredom, my mom taught me how to quilt. I made this gem for a good friend’s baby. I picked the patterns and did everything by myself. I’m smiling now just thinking about it. It’s not perfect by any means, but it’s my first project!


This has been one of the most exciting things in the past week! The first meal that I cooked in the new flat was something different for me. Matt loves Chinese food, and I can’t eat it from restaurants. He chose one of his favourite dishes, and we looked up a recipe and tried it. It was fun!


So this is my walk to the grocery store. I live right next to the Leeds Minster, and I walk through it on the way into town. As I’ve been setting up the flat, I’ve been walking through every day. I live off a cobblestone street. How lucky am I?

When I truly take a look back at August, it’s filled with sadness. Leaving for Leeds has been the most difficult leaving I’ve done so far. I should be an expert at this, but I was incredibly sad all month. I felt like I wasn’t ready to go. I’d spent my summer recovering rather than spending quality time with friends and family.

After this post, I’m happy to see the other things I’ve done that brought me joy. In between tears and stress-packing, I’ve had some really nice moments.

What have you been up to in August?

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav