Skip to main content

Love Letters To My Female Friendships


Now that we’ve (barely) survived January, it is time for the month of love. This year, I want to shift out of the typical romance associated with Valentine’s day. While Matt is amazing and I really love him, there are some other people in my life that deserve a little love as well.

I recently read a book called Text Me When You Get Home: The Evolution and Triumph of Modern Female Friendship by Kayleen Schaefer. It is about female friendship and the fact that it has not been talked about in media or literary history. As a response to that, this post is paying homage to the ladies that have helped me get to where I am now. This is my space to celebrate them and what they bring to my life.

They’re the people in my life that have seen me go through a lot, helped me learn, and pushed me to be the best I can possibly be. They’re the ones that inspire me daily because they’re accomplishing things that are admirable. They’re the ones that deserve a love letter this year.


To R – R, I cannot believe it has barely been a year since we officially became friends. I now cannot imagine my life without you. You are simultaneously one of the worst influences on me and the voice of experience that teaches me what a proper human should be. You’ve taught me that I’m not a failure because I have one hard day. You’ve shown me what true independence looks like. You’ve also helped me realise that not all dogs are scary and out to get me.

I admire you so much. Life has thrown a lot of really difficult things your way in the past couple years. You have met those things with a type of bravery I don’t think I have within myself. Every day, you get up and face the world head on. You are so strong in your convictions and you do not give up on anyone or anything. You are kind and caring and intelligent (and won’t shut up about it). I am lucky to have you in my life to look up to.


To C – You are superhuman. You are my sleeping soulmate. You never reply to messages so I’ll wait a few days before you actually see this. Despite trying to kill me a few times, I’m still willing to be friends with you which says a lot about how much I like you, doesn’t it? You have everything going your way. You’ve adulted more than anyone I know in the past year and I think you are so cool. I wish to have half the success you have in five years when I’m your age (which does not imply you’re old – you’re just older than me).

You. Are. Amazing. You need to know that. You need to know that I am so excited to see what life has to offer you because it’s all waiting for you. You are funny and talented and you have so many gifts to offer the world. I am so lucky to have you in my life knowing that you always have my back and maybe even a literal drop of wine waiting for me.

To N – My gosh, I miss you. You are miss career woman. It has been so cool to see you go from our part time job together where we got in trouble for voicing an opinion (which we’re still right about) to moving up north to become a lawyer. We’ve gone from having a dysfunctional drinking gang to moving away from home and achieving higher things. N, I’m so proud of you. I admire your ambition so much. Every time we talk, you’re on to the next adventure. Amidst all that business, I cannot tell you how much it means to me for you to always make time for me when we’re both home. You’re incredible.   


To H – Ah, my friend that I’ve known for years but not exactly sure how long that is. We have literally been through so much together. Part time jobs, boyfriends, university, moving out, nights out. It has been a wild ride with you by my side (the rhyme was unintentional). I’ve missed so much of what you’ve accomplished recently. You’re absolutely smashing your job, you’ve moved out, and you’ve started a brand new point of your life. H, I am so so proud of you. We’ve sat and had so many marvellous conversations about where our lives were taking us and how we were dealing with it, and you’re doing it! I cannot wait to be back in the same place as you so we can do it all together again.

To D – I need to stop guilting you for leaving because I left first and that is unfair of me. I’m sorry about that. You always seem to push me to be the best person I can be. I admire the fact that you admit you’re struggling – more people should be like that. You lift me up and give me the shot of positivity that I always need. I feel so loved and wanted and appreciated by you and that means so much to me. Even overseas, you bring a smile to my face. You support me in whatever I do. You are relentless with your goals and I have seen you succeed at every one of them. You’re my hero.


To A – Well, thank goodness I sat beside you in day one Women’s Studies. I have seen you tackle every surprise life has thrown your way with growing confidence. I wish I could have been by your side to help with more of that. You’re incredible. You’ve managed to pull everything together when you didn’t think it was possible. You have become an incredible mom. I feel blessed to be a person you choose to have around your son.

To me, you have been the greatest of friends. We’ve had distance between us, marriage between us, and a toddler between us, but you always make me feel like I’m important to you. Your time, your support, and your love are some of the best things in my life.


To J – I’ll gush about you all day every day. You’re the oldest and longest friend I’ve had. When others have come and gone, you have been the steadiest friend of them all. Maybe it is just out of habit, but it means the world to me nonetheless. I am awestruck by you. You’ve come so far in life. I will never stop being proud of you for accomplishing the goals that were, at one time, impossible. Our friendship is not one made out of daily texts and Facetimes but something stronger – the confidence to know you’ll always be there when I need you. I love you with all my heart.


To M – I need to give you a testament even though we’re not friends anymore. Your friendship meant everything to me. Having you in high school was one of the only things that kept me going. I don’t know what I would have done without you. M, I’m sorry. I’ve stopped trying to figure out what happened between us, but I can only say I’m sorry now. I wasn’t the friend you needed at the time. Now, I miss you. I watch Glee, I think of you. I see minions, I think of you. I talk about my time in the school musicals, I miss you. We’re both in the career we set goals for, but I wish I was doing it with you.

I’m proud to see what you’re doing. I’m happy to see that you’re happy. Even if you never see this, and even if we never join paths again, I am so thankful to have had you in my life.


Overall, I have the most amazing women in my life. They’re everything I could have ever hoped for.

This month, write a love letter to your female friends.
-        Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav