Skip to main content

Monthly Favourites - April 2020

Happy end of April! The temperature is getting warmer and the days are getting brighter. Despite the whole world being told to stay inside, I hope you’re enjoying that a little bit. Open the windows! Read in a patch of sun!

This monthly post is . . . unprecedented (does anyone else hate that word though?). This isn’t about what I’ve done to make this month exciting because what I’ve done that is pretty much the same thing every day. Two years ago, I was talking about my last placement and the fact that I was almost done PGCE. Three years ago, I was celebrating all kinds of wonderful because it was the end of university. Four years ago, I had taken so many trips that I was excited to share. I won’t go back further because the formatting of my blog posts was different (and embarrassing, quite frankly), but that was a nice little trip back in time from my sofa.

Anyway, these are the things in my life right now that are favourites because they’re helping me do something or be something or feel something on a regular basis. Enjoy!

1.      Puzzles


I get that this is a bit of a cliché at the moment, but I truly love puzzles. My dad and I had a full conversation a couple weeks ago about things like the best lighting for puzzles, the best and worst types of patterns, and the best height of tables so it won’t hurt your back. This is a passion that definitely comes from my family. 

I’ve also realised I’m a complete puzzle snob. I’ve completed two Ravensburgers puzzles and I’ve been stuck on the third because I don’t like the quality of the puzzle. I won’t bore you with the details, but I’m definitely a Ravensburger girl!

2.      Tala Active Wear


I spoke last year about pulling fitness posts from here, but I’m still trying to incorporate daily movement into my life. I take walks and do videos online and do yoga. My main goal is to help my mind since that’s not going very well.


As a result, I am living in Tala clothes. They are a sustainable company from the UK that is relatively new. A friend told me about them last year, and I’ve been hooked ever since. They’re not entirely size inclusive, and I think their Instagram reshares more skinny model-type users over other types of users, but I like the clothes themselves. They’re comfortable and good quality and they have different types of clothes for whatever you like to do. Check them out!

3.      Headspace



If you listen to any podcast at all, you’ll probably have heard an ad for Headspace. As it turns out, teachers get free yearly memberships for Headspace (you need to prove you actually work as a teacher), so I downloaded it. The reason I downloaded it is because I was becoming a not-sleeping, anxious mess. I needed to calm my mind.

I cannot stress enough how much it has helped me. After I do my daily movement and get showered and dressed, I sit down to go through a meditation exercise. It really helps me clear my mind and get rid of distracting, niggling thoughts that are racing around in my head. It sets me up for the day. 

I also listen to the Sleepcasts to help me settle down for the evening. I’ve realised more than ever that I’m not a great sleeper, so these don’t make me fall asleep. However, it gives me something to focus on other than my mind. Matt, on the other hand, falls asleep before the exercise ends and the story starts. Last night, I listened to two full Sleepcasts before I could actually settle to sleep, but it works. 

4.      Journaling


Similar to above, this is a self-care routine that I’ve been trying to embed in 2020. I’ve truly loved journaling for a long time. This is a time where journaling has become even more important to me. It’s helping me sort through my feelings and nightmares (because these are frequent). Through journaling during lockdown, I’ve learned about a couple emotional triggers and I’ve reflected on what I need to do to make myself function a little better during the day. I added meditation and walking to my daily checklists as a result of my journaling.

Not only will these entries be something to look forward to reading in the distant future when Covid-19 is in history books and I lived it, but it’s truly the self-care that I’ve needed to have.

5.      Baking


Not to be another Corona cliché, but I am actually loving how much I’m baking right now. I’ve made a lemon loaf, cupcakes, and a zucchini loaf. I’m planning to make a flan and cinnamon buns in the near future. I think it’s just a bit of distraction because you need to focus on what you’re doing. I also like having it as a little treat in the evening with a cup of (decaf) tea.

Overall, I think the reason these items are my favourites is that these are all forms of self-care in one way or another. They’re about encouraging me to get up and moving instead of wallowing (something I don’t feel good about after doing it for a while) or keeping my mind focused on other tasks. I wouldn’t be surprised if these are the same favourites as next month.

What has been keeping you going in lockdown? Let me know in the comments below and reach out to chat if you need one!

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav