Skip to main content

Recently Read - April 2020


        In the past five weeks since my last reading update, I’ve managed to finish six books. I’m not sure why this has become a pattern, but I seem to be picking up more non-fiction as of late. I’m really loving reading about and getting to know a whole new cast of characters. I’ve read books about friends, about death, about life, and about how to make the most of everything. Although one of my least favourite books has emerged this reading round, I’ve had a pretty good month of reading overall.

Everything I Know About Love – Dolly Alderton – 4 Stars


        This book is so heart-warming. I’ve read a lot of reviews about this book complaining that it’s about one woman’s messy adventures through alcohol and dating, but those people have utterly missed the point. Throughout the stories of ups and downs and sideways of Alderton’s life as a growing adult, there is a thread of what kept her going despite it all. That thread is her friends. We all come to realise that no matter what happens in life, it is our friends that will be the ones there, holding your hand and making sure you’re okay.

        What I loved about this book is the humanity in it. Alderton does not put on any airs about who she is as a person. She does not gloss over the nitty-gritty, self-deprecating, self-esteem draining moments we all go through in life. She tells each story as it happened (or to the best of her ability), and I appreciate this about the writing so much. I think this a great book for anyone who appreciates their friends and may have a bit of a wild-child tendency.

Uncommon Relations – Rosalind Minett – 3 stars



This book is riddled with sadness. From his mundane job to his closed off wife, Terry's missing the fire and passion from when he was younger. I think the reader is easily attached to Terry's feelings and therefore has some kind of compassion for him. The writing makes it clear that he is frustrated and fed up with how his life has turned out. He seeks belonging in some way. The underlying tension between him and his wife is palpable with every conversation they have. There is definitely something that his wife is keeping to herself and that is clearly linked to her artwork - she cannot fully reveal who she is and therefore cannot make meaning of her own art. This is a slow burn kind of novel that focuses on how desperate Terry is to find some kind of joy in his life. While he finds his twin in the beginning of the book, it takes a long time to establish the rest of Terry's life around this discovery.

I think the synopsis is misleading. This isn't the action packed, twists and turns kind of thriller I was expecting. All of the action happens in the last 50 pages, so I found myself shutting off a lot. The ending was also highly unsatisfying. Despite these negatives, I may find myself looking for Part 2 because I feel so attached to Terry and his life and I want to see where the established story ends up going.

This novel is driven by the subtleties of mundane living. Although the long explanations of Terry's (often frustrating) decisions were time consuming, I believe they were necessary to build up the story of his life. This book calls into question how different people react to big revelations and how we relate to the world around us based on the way we grew up. There are themes of parenting, belonging, jealousy, and the hope for something better. It is a relatively easy read and I would suggest it for people interested in characters and their psychology.

*Thanks to Reedsy for a copy of the book in exchange for a review.

When Breath Becomes Air – Paul Kalanithi – 4 Stars


               This book left me in floods of tears at the end. It is about Kalanithi’s journey through a love of literature that leads to becoming a brain surgeon and then his own diagnosis of terminal cancer. He reflects on the steps he took throughout his life and how each decision he made led to the success he has at the time of writing the book. His death at the end is not a surprise because we’re told that he dies before finishing the book, but it is still heart wrenching.

The writing is incredible. Kalanithi has a talent for writing. He was interested and inspiring by the brain itself and how different brains relate to the world through literature. His voice is so unique and heartwarming. I loved reading every moment of this book. There is so much love and passion in his life – that is clear to see. I do not see this as a sad book. Kalanithi focuses more on fulfilling a life worth living – no matter how long that life is. I suggest this book for anyone that loves literature and an interest in doctors.

The Terrible: A Storyteller’s Memoir – Yrsa Daley-Ward – 4.5 Stars


               I ended up rating this a 5 on Goodreads. I have never come across a memoir as unique and wonderful as this. The mixture between prose and poetry creates a voice that exceeds all expectations of a memoir. The subtleties are skillfully crafted, and although the story of Daley-Ward’s may be one that is familiar, the ways it is told is what makes it stand out from the rest.

               I could not put this book down. I finished it in about two days because I was utterly encapsulated in the writing. I’m normally someone who gets attached to the characters, but this for me was about the way the story was structured. I highly suggest this book for any lovers of poetry and how poets make meaning of their life. 

The North Child – Edith Pattou – 2 Stars


               I did not enjoy this book one bit. I found the writing clunky and the switch of narrative perspective confusing. I can see that it adds certain layers of dramatic irony, but I always felt like once we got into someone’s plotline, there was a switch to someone else and I lost track of what everyone was doing. There were simply too many characters to follow along with. I also got distracted by the occasional shift into informal language. Once in a while, there was a jarring moment where colloquialisms popped up. I’m still not sure if that was intentional or not.

               This book is simply crafted. There is nothing complicated or interesting about the way it is written. There is also a lot of other languages involved that didn’t really seem to have a place. I can see that we're meant to feel the language barrier, but maybe only do that once? The ending is so frustrating because it feels like we all went through a whole journey and then undid all of that. It made no sense, particularly because the scene lasted only a handful of pages.

               What I would say to Pattou’s merits is that the actual storyline was interesting. The mystical themes and spiritual elements were fascinating and kept me hooked in enough to finish the story. I would suggest this book for anyone who likes a good story but won’t analyse the style of writing in too much detail.

Heart Berries – Terese Marie Mailhot – 4 Stars


               I read this book in two sittings. It is an incredible deep dive into generational trauma of Native people mixed with Mailhot’s battle with her own mental health. It is so clear to see the long lasting effects of family, of government, and of self-made restrictions. The stream of consciousness style of writing can be difficult to follow along with, but readers start to see how much Mailhot’s recognises her own power and identity through this style. It is a clear example of a character arc.

               I love how raw and real the writing is. Mailhot’s own heart is poured out onto the page. Writing is a way for her to process events and people of her past as well as heal from those emotional and mental scars. It is poetic and plays with memory as if it were a tangible toy, easily broken. It is so rare to be fully immersed in something so personal. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I would suggest it to anyone with an appreciation for prose and stylistic writing.

               As normal, let me know if you’ve read any of these books and share your thoughts below! As well, if you have any suggestions for more books for me to read, tag me in a picture of it on Instagram!

-        Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav