Skip to main content

Recently Read - June 2020

I've read so many books this month! It was all thanks to quarantine since I can't really do anything else. I'm grateful for the nice weather because I've been able to sit outside and read to my heart's content. Pure bliss. Enjoy!

Becoming – Michelle Obama – 4 Stars

        This sheer size of this book worried me. No matter what Michelle Obama wrote, people would buy it. I was concerned that the writing wouldn’t be that good. Just because someone is a fantastic speaker, it doesn’t mean they’re a good writer.

My goodness, I was wrong. This book is a brilliant story. Obama puts her whole soul on the page as she tracks through her different life events. We get to know how much her family means to her. We see what she thought of Barack when she first met him. Her story is one of dedication and hope and strength. If you didn’t admire her before, you’ll admire her now.

I think Obama has a personality that comes to life on the pages. There are humorous moments and difficult moments. There are political moments and personal moments. I think it has the perfect balance of all types of moments in Obama’s life. I would suggest this book for anyone.

P. S. I Still Love You – Jenny Han – 4 Stars

        I don’t think I ever reviewed the first book of this series, but it is also a 4. I’ve been reading a lot more YA specifically so I can stay up to date on popular books I can suggest for my pupils. This series exploded after the Netflix series came out, so I bought the books at the Scholastic book fair at school (every bookworm’s favourite day). As it turns out, I love the books.

        The characters are so well thought out and crafted. Lara Jean feels like a real high school student (trust me, I work with them) with the same logic and emotional reactions. It tracks the roller coaster that is every high school relationship while dealing with complex issues and losing friendships. Han introduces the discovery of what makes relationships bad while maintaining focus on tight-knit family.

        The writing style is simple. It was an easy read but light-hearted and exciting. I smiled, I frowned, and I melted at the blossoming romance. I would suggest it for anyone looking for a light-hearted read, anyone interested in romance, and people would like YA.

Dear Rachel Maddow – Adrienne Kisner – 4 Stars

        Another YA for you! This book has a unique format made up of emails from Brynn to Rachel Maddow. What starts as a school project becomes an outlet for Brynn to find her voice. The LGBTQ2+ element is important but not the centre of the book, and the character is powerful in her own ways. There are typical teenage issues aligned with politics and popularity. It is a great book set out in a unique way.

        The biggest strength in Kisner’s writing is the way she bring such a unique voice to her main character. Brynn has lost interest in school but over the course of the book, she finds who she is and what she stands for. That becomes clear in the writing style. Since this is a school project, there are occasional notes from her English teacher, and his voice is clear from those short blurbs. I’m always apprehensive when it comes to different formats in books, but the emails are an effective way to get to know the people in this book.

        The themes touch on important issues of visibility, politics, family tragedy, and abuse but also manages to keep humour and emotional at the forefront. It is a fantastic look at some pupils in school that may be overlooked and not noticed. This is a book for them. I would suggest this book for fans of epistolary novels, anyone looking for LGBTQ+ representation, and YA readers.

On The Come Up – Angie Thomas – 4 Stars

        I cannot believe I didn’t review Angie Thomas’s first book The Hate U Give because it is by far one of my favorite books. I didn’t like On The Come Up as much, but I love how Thomas is giving readers a sense of what it means to grow up Black through YA fiction. She has a strong writing style that is clearly full of passion and purpose. I also bought this in the Scholastic Book Fair, and I can’t believe I waited so long to read it.

        For me, this was a book that opened my eyes to the reality of the way systemic racism creates a cycle that people cannot get out of. We see the way perceptions of Bri’s life and character often charge the way she reacts to situations. We also see the way people can come together to speak out, speak up, and change the way systems are run. On a more specific level, the journey to becoming a rapper is

        There are themes of police brutality, gangs, violence, drug use, rapping, friendship, romance, and the way white people often use media to create misconceptions. This is an important work of fiction. Bri’s character is sharp, intelligent, and a fantastic person to carry this voice. This book is about having a voice, about using your voice, and about amplifying your voice. I loved this book.

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes – Suzanne Collins – 4 Stars

        What kind of reader would I be without reading this as soon as I got home where it was waiting on my bed? I’m so glad I read this when it’s popular. I never usually reach for the most popular book at the time, but I simply had to for this one. This is such an interesting series, and I was so excited for this prequel.

        I don’t think it was anything particularly special in terms of style. It’s similar to Collins’s other books in that sense. However, the storyline is brilliant. The different cast of characters and even the way the Hunger Games used to be set out really draws you in. I think the main character shoulders the severity of the actions of the Capitol very well. It’s an interesting look at the way the Hunger Games as we know them are starting to form in this book. I know a lot of people were not happy that it was about President Snow, but this is a fantastic look at his coming of age – even if we already know the outcome!

        There are themes of coming of age, violence, philosophy, what makes a villain, and nature versus nurture. This is a great examination of a character and a book that any fan of The Hunger Games should read.

The Prison Doctor – Dr Amanda Brown – 3 Stars

        This book was fine. There’s nothing spectacular about the way it was written. In fact, it was very simply written, so I managed to read it in a day.

        The best part about this book is the content. It’s a look inside prisons that I’ve never seen before. It’s also an insight into the disparity in certain prisons in the UK. I thought this was an interesting read even though I’m not specifically a fan of medical books. The anecdotes about certain patients that Dr Brown came across in her field were heart warming and sometimes shocking.

        I would suggest this book for fans of memoirs that prefer easier text, people who are interested in prison life, and people interested in reading medical memoirs.

Nineteen Eighty-Four – George Orwell – 4 Stars

        This book is terrifying to read right now amid all the political uncertainty. I’m sure Coronavirus conspiracy people are using this book as fuel for their arguments. This is not a comfortable book to read at any time, really. I don’t like the manipulation of language and power and TV. I don’t like how catchy the political jargon is. However, that’s how it should be.

        I love how the character of Winston is trying to find a voice amongst a government that is slowly increasing their control. I wanted him to succeed in his writing and in his love interest, but we all know this isn’t a novel based on a revolution. This isn’t The Lego Movie, after all (although I’ve only now just realised the similarities between 1984 and The Lego Movie). As an English language teacher, I found the parts about the way language was constantly changing into a simplified version of its former self fascinating.

        I think the style of writing reflects Winston perfectly. It can be a bit dry. It can be a bit meandering. It’s an excellent look into the mind of someone trying to figure out freedom. I highly suggest this for people who love classics, and for anyone interested in speculative fiction.

Holiday – Stanley Middleton – 2 Stars

        This is an easy read. Too easy. Too boring. I’m actually disappointed that this is the book I’m ending with for this reading round-up. The blurb on the back is not an accurate depiction of what this book is actually about. It sounds like it’s going to be a fun but deeply thinking book about relationships and the past. Instead, it’s a confused guy and we’re stuck in his head.

        Maybe it’s just because it’s a very English book with English sentiments that I didn’t enjoy it, but I couldn’t get into it. What I do like about it is the backstory. We get to know Edwin because we learn about his past and the way he reacts to the world around him.

        In all honesty, I can’t describe who I would suggest this to. It wasn’t the worst book I’ve ever read, but it certainly wasn’t the best.

-        Daniella


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav