Skip to main content

Book Reviews - May 2021

Get ready for a long one today people! I maaaaay or may not be giving you reviews of ALL of the books I’ve read in 2021 so far (and one from 2020). I have been so off my blogging game that I just have not been keeping you updated.

On another note, I am thrilled that summer is right around the corner because it means that I’ll be reading so much more (a book a day anyone?). I’m practically vibrating with excitement about that. Summer is where I tend to read more physical books rather than from my Kobo. I’m ready for the pool floaty reading days!

Enjoy all of my books from 2021:

The Library Book – Susan Orlean – 4.5 Stars

susan orlean, The Library Book, The Library Book by Susan Orlean, The Library Book review, susan orlean review

I feel like the word “essential” has become confusing in these Covid times, but this book highlights the fact that libraries are essential services to communities. From its programs to reading to story time for kids, libraries are a hub of learning and community. I pretty much grew up in the library, so this book meant the world to me.

This is not a typical non-fiction book. The research sections that Orlean inserts her own observations and experiences are varied and interesting. We get to explore everything that the Los Angeles library has to offer and what it means to its patrons. We see the funny, the sad, the meaningful all come to fruition because of the hard workers. In the sections that go over the events of the fire, the book reads like fiction, detailing each moment and what the community does to overcome the setback. If the library is important to you, you will love this book.

The Au Pair – Emma Rous – 4 Stars

emma rous, emma rous books, the au pair, emma rous review, the au pair review, emma rous the au pair review

As soon as I finished reading this book, I suggested it to a bunch of people that I knew would like it. It’s mysterious and spooky without being too scary. It’s the perfect mix of figuring out what’s going on in the past and reckoning with the present. There are clues and twists that are perfect for anyone who likes to be kept on the edge of their seat.

Maid: Hard Work, Low Pay, and A Mother’s Will to Survive – Stephanie Land – 3 Stars

maid by stephanie land, maid book, maid review, stephanie land reviews

This book was a solid okay. It is a non-fiction story of the author trying to survive poverty and create a happy home for her daughter. At times, the book was heart-wrenching and hard to read because of the content. It serves to show us that we simply do not know what others have the go through in their lives and what leads them to situations they’re in. One of the biggest strengths in this book is that it opens the reader’s eyes to how poverty is a cycle that is nearly impossible to get out of.

The book is formatted in an odd way – by houses she has cleaned rather than chronological. It is also pretty simplistic in its writing. Not a negative in any way, but it made me lose focus at some points. Overall, it was an enjoyable read that opened my eyes to a world I know nothing about.

Call Me By Your Name – Andre Aciman – 4 Stars

call me by your name book review, call me by your name review, andre aciman review, andre aciman books

Oh. My. Goodness. This. Book. I cannot express how incredibly moving this book is. It’s so romantic and shocking and stunning. It’s about innocence and love and passion, and I cannot recommend it enough. That’s all I can really say because I’m still reeling over the fact that it’s done.

Bridge of Clay – Markus Zusak – 4 Stars

marcua zusak, marcus zusac books, marcus susak book review, bridge of clay, bridge of clay book, bridge of clay book review, bridge of clay marcus zusak, bridge of clay by marcus zusak review

I am a huge Markus Zusak fan. I’ve read him since The Book Thief, and I think his style of writing is incredible. I distinctly remembering putting this book on my list when it came out after it was on a Goodreads newsletter.

The writing is just as incredible. I love that nothing is too obvious and every single sentence and metaphor is so perfectly crafted. This book is about boys, youth, death, forgiveness, family, and love. I think this style of writing can be challenging for some people, but if you’re tuned in and willing to read between the lines, this is a lovely book to be reading.

Everything’s Trash, But It’s Okay – Phoebe Robinson – 4 Stars

phoebe robinson book, phoebe robinson, phoebe robinson everything's trash but it's okay book, everything's trash but it's okay book, everything's trash but it's okay book review

If you’re not a fan of Robinson or are unfamiliar with the way she speaks, this will not be as enjoyable. Robinson writes the same way she speaks. It makes the essays engaging and funny, but if people are reading it expected perfectly formal language and style, they will not find that here. Robinson fully puts herself on the page while also creating dialogue on some of the most relatable events that happen to everyone. I adored every essay, and if I had remembered I had this book to read, I would have finished it so much faster!

Lincoln in the Bardo – George Saunders – 4.5 Stars

george saunders book, george saunders review, george saunders lincoln in the bardo review, lincoln in the bardo by george saunders

When writing this, it has been a few days since I finished the book, and I am still in awe of it. I know this recommendation came from a friend because I remember her reading it when we were in France. When I posted on Instagram that I’m reading this, she also reached out to tell me that this was one of the most interesting books she has ever read. Well, she was not wrong.

The structure of this book feels so personal. It’s almost like the characters are speaking to you through an interview. It feels like you are the only one in the world privy to this story. I have never read something with this much intimacy before. It took a second for me to realize how the book was set up, but once I settled into the style, I truly got into the book.

I also like the structure of the historical books and the fictional story. It gave a lot of powerful to the fictional side of the story. This book is a stunning look at death, grief, forgiveness, and regret.

The Secret Life of Bees – Sue Monk Kidd - 3 Stars

sue monk kidd, sue monk kidd books, sue monk kidd reviews, the secret life of bees by sue monk kidd, the secret life of bees, the secret life of bees book review

This story is one of discovering voice, identity, and truth amidst so much death. It is one girl’s fight to learn about her past and her mother while also finding ways to be nurtured and take root in a runaway life. Parts of this story tugged at my heartstrings as our heroine tries to reckon with the events of her past.

The best part is the comparisons made with the bees. The location is a bee farm, but the epithets at the beginning of each chapter prove to be a mirror for the events of the story. We also realize that everything we learn about the bees is a metaphor – and not in the initial way we would expect. The ending is powerful, and I found this a thoroughly enjoyable read.

The Sun is Also A Star – Nicole Yoon - 4 Stars

nicola yoon, nicola yoon books, nicola yoon reviews, the sun is also a star book, the sun is also a star by nicola yoon, the sun is also a star review

I am so excited about this because I have read this book for school, and I get to teach it! It is a YA book filled with so much motif and themes and wonderfully worded passages. While I found the making out sections very cringey and the sections too quick sometimes, I truly love the storyline and the characters. There is so much depth to this book, and I cannot suggest it enough.

The Marrow Thieves – Cherie Dimaline – 2 Stars

the marrow thieves, the marrow thieves book, the marrow thieves review, cherie dimaline, cherie dimaline books, cherie dimaline reviews


I also read this book for school, but I did not enjoy it at all. In fact, the more I think about it, the less I like it. I truly think this is an important book in terms of Native culture and repeating of history, but I did not enjoy the writing of it. The characters frustrated me, and there was a love story aspect that had no place in my opinion. Not something I liked.

Wenjack – Joseph Boyden – 4 Stars

wenjack by joseph boyden, wenjack book, wenjack book review, joseph boyden review, joseph boyden books

This is a fictionalized true story that will absolutely break your heart. It is the story of a boy who ran away from a Residential School and, upon find his dead body, was the reason the Canadian government started investigating the schools. The writing itself and connection to the animal world brought new layers of sympathy and heartache. It is a necessary book for Canadians.

Crosshairs – Catherine Hernandez – 4 Stars

crosshairs by catherine hernandez, catherine hernandez reviews, catherine hernandez books, crosshairs book reviews

This book is what The Marrow Thieves should have been. It is a post-apocalyptic LGBTQ power novel. I was in awe of Hernandez’s writing style. There was a huge mix of poetry, speeches, and songs in addition to the narration, and I was captured from the first page.

The Lost Girls of Paris – Pam Jenoff – 4 Stars

the lost girls of paris by pam jenoff, pam jenoff books, pam jenoff reviews, the lost girls of paris book, the lost girls of paris reviews

This is the second Pam Jenoff book I’ve read, and I enjoyed it so much! Jenoff is fantastic at historical fiction, and this is no different. There was an excellent mix of “present day” and “past” storylines that built on each other, and the twist was incredible! It is also loosely based on a true story which made this even better.

The Dreamers – Karen Thompson Walker – 4.5 Stars



the dreamers by karen thompson walker, karen thompson walker books, karen thompson walker reviews, the dreamers book, the dreamers review

If you have been following along with my IGTV stories lately, you’ll know that this has been one of my favourite books by far. It definitely touches a little too close to home during this pandemic, but I cannot stop thinking about it. It is exciting and interesting and mysterious. I have not been able to be captured by a book since I finished this one. I also suggested it for my dad who has been loving it as well.

There There – Tommy Orange – 2 Stars

there there by tommy orange, there there by tommy orange review, tommy orange, tommy orange review, there there book, there there rerviews

This is another book by a Native writer. It tells the story of multiple people all coming together for a cultural event. We learn about collective traumatization and how systems continually oppress Indigenous people in America (and Canada by extension). I did not like the multiple storylines and jumps in time which caused me to not enjoy the story.

The Famished Road – Ben Okri – 3 Stars

the famished road by ben okri, the famished road review, the famished road book, ben okri books, ben okri reviews

I kept saying I didn’t like this book as I was reading it, but I ended up giving it 3 stars. It was SO long, and I found it so difficult to keep track of all the characters. I gave it a 3 because something about it kept me intrigued. I truly loved the writing. When I got to a good scene, I could not rip myself away. I will not be reading any of the other books in the series though.

The Wrong Family – Tarryn Fisher – 4 Stars

the wrong family by tarryn fisher, the wrong family by tarryn fisher reviews, tarryn fisher books, tarryn fisher reviews, the wrong family books, the wrong family reviews

This book finally got me out of my reading slump. It was a thriller with an interesting twist. I definitely saw the twist coming, but it did not take away from my enjoyment of the book. There were so many ideas brought up by one of the narrative voices that were changed or clarified by the other narrative voice that made for an interesting read. It kept me engaged the entire time.

The English Patient – Michael Ondaatje – 1 Star

I cannot say anything bad about this book because I think the problem was me. I read this at the wrong time where I was tired and couldn’t focus on it well enough to enjoy it. Nothing on Ondaatje!

I know this was a long post today, so thank you for bearing with me!

I’m really getting into the IGTV #booktalktuesday segments I’ve been doing, so follow along (@real_not_ideal) for my most updated readings.

What have you been reading lately? Read any of these? Disagree with me? Let me know!

-          Daniella

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav