Skip to main content

Farewell, 2021

When I thought about writing this post, I thought about how to best show off my year. I wanted to do 21 things I did in 2021, but something about that feels off. 

In all honesty, last year was hard for me. I told Matt this recently, and he was under the assumption that 2020 would have been worse. It wasn't. 


Around this time last year, I was waiting to start therapy back up again. I was already in an emotional strained place.

In February, I got injured. I lost all of my coping strategies. I was in pain, I couldn't sleep, I couldn't clean my room, and I couldn't ski. I didn't realize it until I was out of it, but it drove me into a five-month depressive episode. 

I should have seen the signs. I had no motivation to do anything. I couldn't read, and I wasn't journaling - even when I started to feel better. 

Fast forward to June, and my knee wasn't getting better. Then, I find out the extent to which I was actually injured and have to deal with that. 

I'm grateful for my surgery. I was in more pain in February than I have been the entire time. 

However, it didn't do great for my mental health. I stayed positive for sure, and I was vigilant, but I was so stuck. I was stuck in one place because I literally couldn't go anywhere. I was stuck because I had to rely on everyone else to do everything for me. I was stuck because I had no purpose and no clue as to when I could return back to life. I was stuck because I had no idea when Matt was going to arrive. I was stuck because I had no job prospects at the time. 

I'm proud of getting through those moments. I'm also going to forever thank the friends and family that were entirely there for me. 

Ultimately, things turned around. Matt's here, I got a permanent job, I'm getting my financials in order, and I have a solid network of people around me for support. I also medically advocated for myself and got diagnosed with ADHD which is helping me understand my own thoughts and actions. 

That doesn't mean things are perfect. I feel like I'm entering this year as I started last year. I miss my sister, things with Covid are growing more and more uncertain every day, and I'm still not able to ski.

That last one may not seem like a big deal to anyone, but skiing is one of the only things I do that shuts my brain off. It's self-care for me. Over the holidays, I broke down because I had to come face to face with the fact that it's a huge part of me that I don't get to do. I don't know how to be without it. Just when I think I'm doing well with recovery, I'm reminded of my limitations. It's not ideal, but it's most definitely the reality I'm living with at the moment. 

All that is just to say that I'm glad 2021 is in the rearview. I want and deeply hope that 2022 will be better. 

Happy New Year, everyone. 

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav