Skip to main content

Healing Myself

         I’ve been thinking a lot about the situation I was in last year. My knee injury threw me for a complete loop, and it was the beginning of a series of months that led me to being stuck physically, mentally, and emotionally. Luckily, I’m out of that, and it’s thanks to me.


Everyone is always first to thank family, friends, and other support systems, and I’m obviously grateful for all of those people, but ultimately, I got myself through it all.

I saw my surgeon just over a week ago, and the first thing the trainee doctor said to me was that he loved my positive attitude. When I found out I was having surgery, I promised myself that I would do everything I could to maintain that. You see, my surgery date came so quickly that I didn’t have time to process what the next few months of recovery were going to look like. As a result, I just made up my mind that I was going to heal.

The day I had surgery, I started physio and then didn’t stop for months. I had a whole routine and stuck to it. My mobility slowly started to come back. The biggest deal was when I could move my kneecap for the first time. When I got rid of the crutches and started to walk again, I made sure I stuck to the exercises.

Naturally, there was a lull in the motivation, but it hit me all over again over Christmas break when I had the hardest time not skiing. I felt like a part of my identity was gone because skiing is what I do in the winter. In the past couple months, I threw myself back into strengthening exercises, and it paid off.

At that appointment, I got a lot of good news. I’m well on my way to being healed completely. The bulk in my legs is coming back. My knee feels like an actual knee most days. I can start doing conditioning work so I can get back to skiing next season.

In all honesty, I almost cried when I left that appointment. I did that. I healed myself. I made up my mind that I would recover, and I’m almost there.

That week, I happened to have a massage and I had taken the opportunity to thank my legs and knees and feet for carrying me through this recovery process. I told my left knee how proud I was that it was healing, and I thanked my right knee and hip for bearing the brunt for a while. I also reminded them that they can let go because I’m good now.

As silly as that sounds, I think it was important for me to do that. My body has been through a pretty major event in the past year, and I’m proud of us for getting through it together.

This may be an insular experience, but if you’re in recovery, take some time to thank your body and take the space to be proud of yourself for getting through it. And also, go do your physio!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav