Skip to main content

My Favourite Podcasts - 2018

Controversial opinion: I don’t really like music. I’m not one of those people who can listen to music at all hours of the day. I listen when I’m in the car for a long period of time or when I’m writing blog posts (it’s on in the background right now). My favourite band of all time is Walk Off the Earth, and I’m always a fan of musicals, but music just doesn’t have a place in my everyday life.

Enter podcasts. I got into podcasts a few years ago, and they are my go-to listening companion. I like learning things about myself and listening to other people talk while I’m busy washing dishes or getting ready for the day. They make time go by so much faster, and it really does feel like there are friends around me all the time.

The podcasts I like are typically funny and conversational as opposed to scripted. I’ve listening to some and then deleted them because they weren’t personal enough. Below are my favourite podcasts right now. This list has changed since I started, and I think it’s fun to see what I’ve liked over the years.

1.       My Favourite Murder


This is my most recently added podcast suggested to me by a friend. It’s a comedy true crime podcast. A weird mix, yes, but it’s effective. Georgia and Karen take turns telling stories about murders with a funny twist. They have an amusing outlook on their topic that make listeners that are scaredy-cats like me not scared about these terrible things.

2.       Guys We F****d: The Anti-Slut Shaming Podcast


This has been one of my favourites since the beginning. Krystyna and Corinne’s podcast may sound like it’s dirty, but it’s also hard hitting on topical subjects across the world. They help people with relationship problems in a blunt way (because maybe you’re the problem) and bring on the most interesting guests. I am always learning something new or gaining a new perspective on life. They are also talented comedians who share personal experiences and do amazing work on bringing light to parts of the world that are misunderstood or controversial. It’s funny, insightful, and interesting.

3.       Let It Out


This is completely unlike the other two. Let it Out with Katie Dalebout is about wellness, spirituality, creativity, food, and health. Katie herself is enthusiastic, quirky in the best way possible, and friendly. She’s the one podcast host I know I could be friends with. She even replies to Instagram messages, so we’ve talked a couple times. The episodes tend to be on the long side, but the guests are usually very interesting and always have something to teach the listeners. She has recently changed the way she interviews, and the conversations are free-flowing and natural. Katie is someone from the eating disorder community as are a lot of her followers. I think the conversations about relationships to food are insightful even for people not in the community. This podcast is one that makes me reflect on myself, my habits, and who I am in the space around me.

4.       Not Too Deep


This is also one of my OGs. Grace Helbig has been one of my favourite Internet personalities for years. I’ve been listening to her podcast since episode one (minus a couple months when my phone deleted all of my podcasts). Her goofy questions and relaxed hosting style make for easy listening, and her guests are dynamic and fun. The main guests are other Internet personalities, and it’s really cool to get to know their silly side. I always laugh out loud with this podcast.

5.       This American Life


Who doesn’t know This American Life? It’s the podcast of podcasts. I always listen to This American Like with my dad when we’re driving somewhere. The thing I love about this podcast is the story-telling. I love hearing stories about everyday people as well as political issues. My favourites episodes were about perspectives from kids and magicians. It is not considered comedy, and it is not as conversational as the others, but I love the stories and themes they come up with.

The last time I did any kind of personal favourites was for my favourite blogs – two years ago! That will need an updating soon.

I’m always open to suggestions about new podcasts to listen to. If you have any suggestions, let me know in the comments!

Are you a fan? What do you look for in podcasts?

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav