Skip to main content

Recently Read - July 2020

This is a bit of a shorter reading list this month. In last month's post, there were a lot of books because I was in quarantine – I didn’t have much else to do! This month, I’ve been working a little more and I’ve started an online course that I’m loving. I’m just busier now!

I’ve also started to read more books on a semi-professional basis. I’m part of a couple websites that have opportunities to get paid for book reviews. It’s something I already do, and I love reading, so I decided to expand on my work. If you’re an author or you know an author willing to pay someone for book reviews, give them my email!

The Flat Share – Beth O’Leary – 4 Stars

               I adored this book so much. I’m always hesitant to get on board with trendy books, but maybe I should do it more often. My reasoning is that most people don’t know what good writing is (sorry), and my brain can’t just enjoy a badly written book. This book was so popular in the UK, and I understand why now. The premise is so interesting, and the writing is fantastic. It’s a rare popular book that surprised me.

               The storyline is intriguing and funny. Each character is so perfectly imagined and comes to life. From the eclectic book writer to the possessive ex-boyfriend, there are complex emotions and events that occur all the time. There are twists and turns and it’s not the straightforward relationship you would expect in the main characters. The perspective is from both of the “flat-sharers,” and while there are crossovers, both are experience their lives in very different ways.

               I think we’re all aware by now that a dual-perspective book is not my favourite. However, this one was done SO well. Both characters had distinct voices and writing styles. The writing was also interesting and engaging – not something I expected from a romance! Overall, this book is a definite 4/5 stars. I loved it.

Always and Forever, Lara Jean – Jenny Han – 3 Stars

               I wish I could rate this higher, but I just can’t. I loved the other two books and tore through them. This one felt rushed and too wrapped up in tying up loose ends. There were too many streams of storylines in different places, and Lara Jean became unlikable in some instances.

               At the centre of these books is really the family unit. With a wedding to sort out and Margot coming home, tensions are built which created interesting dynamics about family and growing up. I like that we see Lara Jean making big life decisions and realizing things for herself – it’s something I’ve been pleading for her to do since the start of the series. I keep having to remind myself that she’s only 17/18 and knows absolutely nothing about the world (I mean, same). The character growth makes this a 3 star for me because it redeems what I think about the structure.

               I found the structure of this book messy. I think it would have been more beneficial to focus on two aspects of Lara Jean’s life rather than absolutely everything all at once. There were some random storylines thrown in for drama that ended up not being dwelled on. While this book doesn’t leave loose ends, I found myself frustrated for the missed opportunities to explore what it’s like to be Lara Jean’s age. This is why I give this book 3/5 stars.

Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder – Caroline Fraser – 4 Stars

               Little House on the Prairie is a family tradition. My mum and her sisters grew up reading the books and watching the TV series, so my sister and I did the same. I remember when I was in the hospital during my study abroad because of a tonsil issue, and I was comforted when the show came on the TV. I was so excited to get borrow this eBook from the library because I wanted to know more about Laura Ingalls Wilder.

               This book takes all the stories we know and love and sets it through the lenses of the political, geographical, and economic issues that were occurring in homestead America. It brought a new light and a new understanding to everything the Ingalls and Wilder families went through. I recognized the family events and I had the bigger picture about how those events affected America as a whole. I gained a whole new appreciation for the steadfast, headstrong Laura Ingalls Wilder as a result of this book. I also learned what the TV show embellished (which is a lot).

               I think the book was very well written. It easily could have been dry and factual, but the story of Wilder’s life against the contextual backdrop made for an interesting read. I can tell you that if Little House on the Prairie wasn’t part of your life growing up, you probably won’t like this book at all. I give this a 4/5 for the mix of biography and history but wouldn’t suggest it for people who have no clue who Laura Ingalls Wilder even is.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams – 3 Stars

               You know, I’ve heard so much about this book. It’s considered a classic, and I never understood why. To be honest, I never even understood what the premise was. The blurb is so appealing and so engaging. It’s a short book but it’s way out of my comfort zone in terms of material. When a friend lent it to me, I dove right in. I now know why it is such a beloved book.

               Instantly, the narration captures our imagination as readers. It’s silly and magical and confusing at times. There are so many plot lines all over the place. The names for space creatures are hysterical. Our main characters are interesting and imaginative. It was a good read. I did find myself confused at the timelines and there were too many random characters for my liking. Those may be threads that are readdressed in the rest of the series, but I’m not interested in reading those.

The writing is simplistic. There’s nothing complicated or ground-breaking about the structure. As you can probably tell, I didn’t love it. I liked the silliness of it, and I’ll suggest for kids to read at school. It definitely captures your imagination (I mean, a floating whale? So cool!), but it wasn’t my cup of tea. I give it 3/5 stars for the imaginative moments.

Book Reviews Posted Elsewhere:

The Hand Bringer – Christopher J. Penington – 2 Stars

Posted on Online Book Club - https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelves/book.php?id=402842

The Reel Sisters – Michelle Cummings – 3 Stars

Posted on Online Book Club - https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=151099&p=1454445#p1454445

That’s all for the month! Let me know what you’ve been reading lately!

-Daniella


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav