Skip to main content

Goals Update - October 2020

                Seeing as I have missed the past two weeks of blogging, this is a good time to review my goals. Things have certainly been busy. I work full time teaching hours and then an evening part time job. My hours there may be going up as well. That leaves me with no time during the week to do many personal things. Also, I just want to relax.

               Last weekend, I decided to relax and take the pressure off. I don’t HAVE to do everything during the week. It’s OKAY if I want to sit back and watch Grey’s Anatomy with my family instead of sitting down to write book reviews. Instead, I’ll use my weekends for personal things that don’t have deadlines.

               It’s all part of readjusting and finding time for my goals. I know what is important to me, but rest is just as important as everything else. I believe this reframing has allowed me to be way more successful in the smaller parts of my life. Proof is below.

Bedtime

               I have had to reimagine what this looks like so many times, but I can say that I have been successful at it. Sometimes, it’s not possible to get to my 10:30 bedtime. As long as I do the rest of my routine, I consider my bedtime a success. The big part of this is that I am a lot more conscious about when it is time to switch off and get ready for bed. It’s a mental process for me that starts at 9:00. I have to have the full hour and half in order to sleep better. Overall, my sleep has improved as a result.

Movement

               This is my latest goal! I am on day three. As I said before, I don’t have a lot of time in the week. It has been my excuse forever that I don’t have enough time. However, doing a 15-minute walk is better than doing nothing. I’ll do what I can, when I can. The truth is, I’m really finding myself missing the walk to and from school that I did for the past two years. They were excellent mental resets, and I want to bring that back into my life. I feel good about this goal because I’ve readjusted the expectations of it.

Next Steps

               I was so into Duolingo for a while, but I haven’t been focused on it at all lately. I really want to get back into it just because my Nonna loves it when I can pick out certain words in the conversation she has with my dad. I really do want to be at least conversational in Italian at some point in my life. Before I dropped off, I was actually doing pretty well! I can see myself doing it as soon as I come home accompanied by my after-work tea and snack.

Successes

I have officially meditated and journaled for 42 days in a row. Sometimes, I have the time to sit down and do a 10-minute meditation course or a full journal entry and sometimes, I do a one minutes winddown and quick paragraph in my journal. Either way, I have been massively successful at both. I have reaped the benefits of having this as part of my regular routine.

I’m rather proud of myself. This has very much become an exercise in changing what I expect in myself. I think I held myself to a standard that was so high that I set myself up for failure every time. Taking it one step at a time and then reflecting on what goes wrong has allowed me to think ahead and anticipate excuses I will have for myself. I feel strongly about the point I’m at right now.

What have you been working on lately?

-Daniella

Comments

  1. I love it. I hope you will make it work :) My goals are to be in better shape. I have already purchased a few things to improve my health. x

    www.serenbird.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the support! This has been my trickiest goal so far, that's for sure.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav