Skip to main content

Small Ways To Deal With Grief

 I’ve had a hard week. The teacher that was my reason for everything died in the past week. I’m okay. I’m getting through it. I have felt numb and heavy and so sad and I finally feel a little okay today.

To be honest, I’ve been dealing with grief in a lot of different formats. I figuratively lost a friend last year which has been a very difficult process. One of my closest friends moved away this week.

Basically, everything came to a head this week. I’m not an expert at all. I’m lucky enough to say that this kind of really painful grief is relatively new to me. However, I thought I would share a few small things that have helped me.

1.      Be gentle with yourself.


I’ve watched a lot of Netflix in my evenings. I normally spend time with my sister and talk and laugh and get social. This week, I was gentle. I let myself hold these soft moments without guilt that I was wasting time.

2.      Keep spaces where the grief does not exist.

I have found myself telling people about what happened that I would not expect. I also purposely didn’t tell a group of friends because I didn’t want to talk about it. I didn’t want my entire life to be infiltrated by this sadness. In the moments where I talked to those friends, it felt okay for a second.

3.      This is a universal experience – find the words that will help you not feel alone.


What worked for me is the grief course from Headspace. I’ve only done it for a few days, but everything that has been said has been exactly what I needed to hear. Look up blogs, Instagram pages, podcasts, books that may help you. Find something to remind you that this feeling will pass and everyone goes through it at some point.

4.      Talk about the happy memories.

A friend that I lost touch with got in contact with me when she realized that we had both had that teacher. We ended up having a great conversation about all the quirky, fun quotes in the classroom. It made me feel a lot better to talk to someone who understood what I was feeling.

        Like I said, I am not a professional. I’m not qualified to give official advice. If you need help with this, please do look up a professional to talk to. This is just the small things that have helped me this week.

        If you have any other good advice, please let me know.

-        Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav