Skip to main content

Monthly Favourites - May 2021

 Can anyone else believe it’s the end of May? For being in a pandemic and not being able to do anything, I feel like 2021 has flown by so far.

Also, it has been about a year since I moved home in the middle of a pandemic. That is a fact that makes me so sad when I think too hard about it. There is still so much uncertainty, and I don’t know when I’ll be able to see the British people I love again.

It has been hard to come up with these favourites when I’m not doing anything! My days are work, tutoring, family, repeat. I’ve been talking with people online a lot more and trying to plan at least some things for the future, but overall, the things that make me happy are quite simple.

1.       Baking

baking, tea party, amish friendship scones, amish friendship bread start,

If you have been watching my Instagram stories, you’ll see that I’ve had an Amish Friendship Loaf starter for about a month now. Every ten days, I get to bake with it. I’ve made waffles, bread, scones, cinnamon buns, and loaves. This has been something I use to take a break from marking, but it’s something I get to look forward to.

2.       Glitter Eyeliner

glitter eyeliner, weekend makeup, simple makeup, eyeliner, space buns for short hair

My makeup routine on the weekend has been pretty low-key lately. Sunscreen, glitter eyeliner, and mascara. I got this eyeliner through Glossybox a while ago, and I barely used it until now. My sister started using hers for work, and I jumped on this track. I feel like it’s a subtle but super cute way to make your eyes pop.

3.       Iced Coffees

iced coffee, milk frother, iced latte, latte, coffee, coffee time

Last year, I mentioned how much I love JavaWorks for flavoured coffee. I’ve been making cold brew with their Irish Cream flavour for my morning cup, but I’ve also been making iced coffees for myself in the afternoon when it’s really necessary. With the frothed milk plus whipped cream when there’s leftovers from weekend breakfasts, these coffees bring me so much joy.

4.       Vaccine

vaccine, covid vaccine, vaccinated

I got vaccinated this month! I woke up that morning feeling so excited. Right now, it feels like the light at the end of the tunnel. It’s faint, but it’s there. It’s one step closer to hugging someone other than my family or going to a restaurant or travelling to see my best friend. If anyone’s curious, my symptoms were nausea, fatigue, and a lovely hive on the injection site that lasted for a few days. All totally normal!

5.       Nice Weather

summer, sun, summery weather, canadian spring

Another thing that has really helped with my mental health has been the change in weather. I mean, not the past week when the temperature dropped and it rained for entire days, but overall, being able to sit outside and read means I can be in a different location. It means that when restrictions are lifted, friends can come over again. Again, it feels hopeful again.

Was this sad? I didn’t mean for it to be sad. For me, May has brought so much more hope than I had before. It feels like life may be getting back to normal sooner rather than later. And in the meantime, I’ll take pleasure in my morning coffees.

What has brought you hope lately?

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Monthly Favourites- February 2016

I don’t know about you, but it feels like February has flown by! I can’t say it’s been a busy month; it’s more like a month of sinking back into routine. Last month, I was so ready to get back to school. It’s been great so far. I’m loving my classes, and I’m doing well with keeping on top of readings. I went to watch The Superbowl with friends (we didn’t make it to halftime), took control of my own body, and I’ve made myself a solid group of friends. I’m really happy. Here’s what got me through the month: 1.        NetGalley     I’m sure you can tell based on the sheer amount of book reviews I’ve been posting, but I have been reading quite a lot. This is all thanks to NetGalley. I have been a member of the site for over a year, but I never really got into it until now. At home, I have an extensive bookshelf, but I couldn’t bring that to the UK with me. I turned to NetGalley, and I have been rewarded. As a member, I request book titles and get a free e-book. In exchange, I have