Skip to main content

Tips for the First Month of a Knee Surgery

 Hello everyone! As I mentioned last week, I am back after taking some time off after my knee surgery. Before I went into surgery and recovery, I watched a few videos from people who have been through it to see what their recovery was like. I figured I would write this post with a few tips that helped me through this first month of recovery.

I briefly mentioned my initial injury a while ago, but I didn’t know the extent of my injury at that point. I completely tore my ACL (which is the thing that stabilizes your knee) and had a complex tear in my meniscus (the thing in between your knee joints to stop it from grinding). My surgery was for an ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair.

Because of the meniscus repair, it is going to take a long time to heal fully. I am on crutches for the rest of the summer and into the beginning of September. For a full recovery, it is going to be about a year.

meniscus repair, acl reconstruction, knee surgery, knee surgery recovery, surgery recovery, physio, tips for knee surgery, tips for acl reconstruction, tips for meniscus repair

I can do a week by week process of my recovery is anyone is curious, so please let me know. In the meantime, these are my tips for the first month of recovery:

1.       If you are able to, avoid stairs.

My parents moved my bed down to the main floor so I could avoid the stairs for a while. Stairs are SCARY on crutches, and this is my first experience with them. In the first couple days where you’re shaky and drowsy, it’s not easy to be on crutches. You also really can’t move much, so cutting down the distance you have to move is entirely helpful.

2.       Find something to keep you busy.

Positivity and distraction have been key for me. I started rewatching Bob’s Burgers because it’s a show that genuinely makes me laugh, and I also took an online course for school. It wasn’t my intention to do this course during my recovery since I signed up for it forever ago, but I am grateful for it. It gave me some structure and something to focus on for a few hours in the day.

meniscus repair, acl reconstruction, knee surgery, knee surgery recovery, surgery recovery, physio, tips for knee surgery, tips for acl reconstruction, tips for meniscus repair

3.       Do your physio every day – seriously.

This is how you’re going to see progress. There is a reason your surgeon and/or your physiotherapist is giving you these exercises. In the beginning, it’s tough because it hurts. With time, it will get to the point where the exercises feel like really good stretches. This is how you are going to boost your recovery, so do not miss a day!

4.       Get comfortable asking for help.

I’m working on not feeling like an inconvenience. When you’re on crutches, you can’t do very much on your own. It was sponge baths and over the sink hair washes for the first couple of weeks. Now, I still can’t do things like make my own meals, so I have had to ask my family for so much help. It’s hard to have your independence suddenly taken away and rely on everyone around you, so getting comfortable asking is important.

5.       Recovery is slow, so celebrate the small progressions.

In these first stages of recovery, it is all about getting your range of motion back. I still cannot straighten my leg all the way, and it is supposed to take a while for that to come back. However, it doesn’t mean you won’t see change. When I was able to move my kneecap again, I was thrilled. The night I could sleep on my side without discomfort, I slept like a baby. It’s really about the small progression because this is a long road of recovery.

meniscus repair, acl reconstruction, knee surgery, knee surgery recovery, surgery recovery, physio, tips for knee surgery, tips for acl reconstruction, tips for meniscus repair

Obviously, this is personal to me, and everyone’s recovery is going to be different. This is what has worked for me and helped me get to the wonderful place I’m in now.  

Did I miss something? Are you going through a knee surgery soon? Let me know!

-          Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav