Skip to main content

Autumn in Pictures


Hello friends! Happy New Year! We’re just going to skim over the fact that I haven’t done this in forever. I really want to stay connected but also reduce this to one post a week for this year. It is simply more manageable. Stay tuned for next week’s post when I discuss more on that topic.

Anyway, I think one of the best ways to catch you up is to do a photo post. I haven’t done this since March of last year but these used to be some of my favourite posts to create. Now, instead of a monthly post, I’ll do a seasonal post to catch you up on the big events in my life!

1.      Trip to Goathland with Matt.


Before school really kicked up, Matt and I went to Goathland to see some real steam trains! I mentioned back in my September favourites post, but it’s worth mentioning again. I still think about it and actually, it led to one of my favourite moments with my friend’s toddler where I showed him my video of a “choo choo.” 

2.      Surviving Ofsted – and getting Outstanding!


The fact that this system exists baffles me but nevertheless, I made it through! Ofsted is a government associated service that judges schools in England. They come in to schools for inspection for a couple days to look at teaching quality, behaviour, and how schools run in general. Schools then get a rating. The inspector came into my class and although it was nerve-wracking, my kids made me so proud. My school also got the first Outstanding for a secondary school under a new framework. I have never been prouder to be a part of a community.

3.      Half-Term trip to the Cotswolds.


I’m pretty sure if someone in North America asks where to go when visiting the UK, the Cotswolds is the number one suggestion people give. I’ve always wanted to go myself, and I was not disappointed. The AirBnB we got was adorable and private and on the base of one of the hills. We went on a hike and I may have fallen a few times (and I also may have a scar from one of those falls), but it was a great trip!

4.      Leeds Christmas Market.


One of my favourite things around Christmas time is the explosion of Christmas fairs and markets. Also, mulled wine needs to be a cultural favourite in Canada. I went around with a couple friends this year. I’ve been every year I’ve lived in Leeds and I love it every time. There’s something about the smells and the music that really reminds you that the Christmas season has begun.

5.      Yorkshire Sculpture Park.


If you’re ever in Yorkshire, this is a wonderful place to visit with a family. There are so many cool sculptures spread over a large area. My friend has gone a lot since she lives close and she says she may never see everything because the area is so big. It’s full of nature and art – it’s the perfect day activity when the weather’s nice. However, don’t wear white running shoes. It was very muddy and no one warned me!

6.      Bonfire Night date.


Matt and I have a tradition with Bonfire night. We go to our favourite restaurant and then see the fireworks at the park around the corner. This year, it was COLD. I filled a travel bottle with hot chocolate and set off. The restaurant was full, so we got it for takeaway and ate outside (what a night!). It was memorable for sure!

7.      Seeing some Stormtroopers.


This was one of the most random and joyful moments of my life. I had gone to see a movie with a couple friends and as soon as we turned out of the theatre, some Stormtroopers were walking out of a room. I assume it was for the midnight opening of the new Star Wars film that night but it was wonderful. My friend and I froze, hit each other, and then panicked. Once I found my words again, I got this picture and you can just see the happiness bursting out in what I call my happy vein.

That was my autumn! It has been busy and fun and exciting. I think the hardest part has been adjusting to my difference in hours at work. Going from NQT to RQT has been a big jump. I would even suggest that it was harder than starting work for the first time. I don’t think I ever fully adjusted to be honest.

Not to get all “this is my year,” but it will definitely be a big one for me. I’m already planning some more trips to keep things exciting and I want to change a few routines on a personal level. Stay tuned!
That’s all for me! What have you been up to this past season?

-        Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav