Skip to main content

Belgium and Berlin

On my list original plan for today’s blog post was going to be one for both of the France trips I was supposed to take in the last couple of weeks. I’ve also scoured through past posts to see if I mentioned them last year, and I’m ashamed to say I did not. For two of my favourite trips of all time, I cannot believe I missed a chance at writing about them. While I’m disappointed that I won’t get to partake again this year, I’m glad to have those memories forever.

Instead of my original planned post, I figured I’ll go back to February when I went to Belgium and Berlin. I mentioned it in my monthly favourites in February (and even mentioned I would write a future post about it) but I never actually wrote it. So, here we go! Belgium and Berlin!

Belgium



        I went to Belgium on a school trip. The purpose was to see all of the WWI sites from a book we read with the Year 7s called “Private Peaceful.” Belgium itself has some really nice buildings. One of my favourite videos on my phone is the bells from this church going off on a gorgeous blue-skied morning.


        Like I said, the real purpose was to see war sites. One of the things we got to do was see where a series of trenches were built. The thing is, Canada doesn’t really have the history like this. This was a very interesting place for me to see since we learn about it in school but never get to see it up close.


        This building was a site where men found guilty for desertion were put to death by firing squad. We saw some of the death cells where they awaited their trials and where the names etched in the walls could still be seen. It was quite eerie. Some of my fellow colleagues found the real spot they were shot and pointed out where the bullet holes were.


        One of the most interesting things we did was get involved with the laying of the wreaths at the tomb of the unknown soldier. It was a beautiful ceremony. Our kids made us proud with being so solemn and respectful.


        We went to the German gravesite as well. It was small and they were all mass burials. I felt so uncomfortable there. I didn’t feel like I could walk around and look at the tombstones. It felt cold and uninviting. I can’t explain how different it feels compared to the British grave sites.


        I feel so proud and blessed to be from a country that was respected and fought for the freedoms we have today. I also noticed that the Maple Leaf on the tombstones was the same on my mitten. It was a cool moment for me, so I had to take a picture.


        The most striking moment for me was visiting Tyne Cot grave site. It’s the biggest in Belgium with more than 11,900 servicemen buried there. It was so humbling.


        I feel like saying I enjoyed this trip is not the right thing to say. I liked it a lot because it contextualised a lot of what I learned in history classes. It was humbling and moving and it is not something I will easily forget. I’m so grateful to have been able to go on this trip.

        Berlin



        This was another amazing friend trip I took. Although Claire could sadly not make it, we absolutely made the most of this time. My friend Raven is a history teacher, so we got to know all of the history of Berlin inside and out. It was wonderful. Our first stop, of course, was the East Side Gallery on the remnants of the Berlin Wall. Graffiti has such a big cultural important in Berlin. It’s a form of expression and because it was taken away for so long, Berlin is full of it now. Where we see it as a mess, they see it as expressing freedom.


        A trip to Berlin is not complete without seeing the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe. It is a striking memorial specifically meant to make you feel the enormous impact of the effects of Nazi Germany. As you move further in, you forget that you’re surrounded by a bustling city. It’s overwhelming and beautiful.


        We also stopped by Checkpoint Charlie for a wander around. It is in this place where I couldn’t imagine how different things were at that time. Everyone is meandering their way along the sidewalk passing to and from what used to be a border, and it’s incredible to think about how it used to be.


        A lot of the buildings in Berlin were re-built after the war, but there is still some amazing architecture – not to mention a few PINK buildings! Before we left, a friend mentioned to us that you can see that a lot of the streets were specifically made for the Nazis to march down. When we passed through those streets, it is so difficult to not imagine that. Berlin is a city built around some of this history, and there are memories of that everywhere.


        I love a cathedral, and we paid to walk to the top of it. The trek was hard, but worth it. We had some absolutely stunning views of Berlin from the top. We got an up close look at the statues on the roof of the ceiling, and we spent a long time just taking it all in.


        One of the last things we did was a river cruise where we curled up under some blankets and had a couple glasses of mulled wine. From there, we got to see a lot of the more modern side of Berlin. It was completely different to where we were staying and where we had been in the past couple of days.
 

        I have to include this picture because it’s one of my favourites of all time. Overall, I love Berlin. We did have a night where we went to the best ever cocktail bar where they matched your tastes for a bespoke cocktail. It’s a city of culture and excitement and history and I am grateful to have gone while I’m still here.

        Have you been to Belgium or Berlin? How was your experience? Tag in your pictures of it on Instagram and don’t forget to follow me here: @real_not_ideal

-Daniella
       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav