Skip to main content

Lessons Learned - Second Year Teaching Edition

               Yesterday was my last official day of working in Castleford. That brings tears to my eyes. I should be having a leaving party or something right now. I’m really sad! I spent a lot of yesterday crying and feeling really sorry for myself. It's the end of an (albeit short) era. 

I’ve taken a long time to reflect on this past year and collate some of the things I’ve learned. I’ve been doing these posts for a while. On last year's post, I gave some stellar advice (in my humble opinion), and I stand by all of it. This year, things have been a roller coaster. I’ve learned a lot.  

1.      You never know what help is out there unless you ask.

Rosie is the one that told me this initially. I have learned this on two occasions. There was a time this year where marking was piling up. We had difficult exams to mark, books to mark, and I was staying at school until 8:00pm. Even with that, I wasn’t going to meet my deadlines. When I told Rosie, she threatened to tell my boss if I didn’t tell him. So I did. He took my booster off me for one night, and that’s all I needed to catch up. One extra hour of time was all it took. I should have mentioned something sooner. You just don't know what else is out there.  

2.      The jump from NQT to RQT is hard. Lean on each other.

Everyone says being an NQT is hard, but I struggled way more this year than I did last year. You have way more work to do, plus Year 11s, plus less time to do it all. My schedule was two full days and on the third day, my free was the last period. Like I said in the first point, there were nights where I stayed late just to stay afloat. I’m grateful that I had two other RQTs to support me. We all struggled through the same timing issues. We cried together, we hugged each other, and we whined together. Lean on those people. They will save you.

3.      Life is unexpected. Find a structure that will help you roll with the punches.

So Coronavirus was unexpected. When that happened and we had to work from home, I didn’t know what to do. Kids weren’t really sending me work, and I was weighed down with worry about whether I could come home or not. If I had had a few coping mechanisms ingrained in my daily routine that made me feel normal, then maybe I could have avoided a lot of the emotional outbursts I had. I did create goals for myself at that time, but I’ve realized that I’m a person that needs a bit more structure in their life.

4.      Don’t let your job become your whole purpose.

My drama teacher friend and I had a whole discussion about this when we drove in to work together during lockdown (because we were still doing childcare in the UK). For a while, we were both lost. I put so much into my job that I felt like I didn’t know who I was for a while. I’ve only been a teacher for two years, so how did I lose so many other aspects of my being? I’ve now had a chance to reconnect with all of the activities I genuinely enjoy doing, and I’ve adopted new activities as well. Now that I'm not working, I'm having a bit of a wobble, but I'm working on figuring out who I am outside of teaching. 

5.      Don’t wait for a special occasion to do something you want.

I love Lush so much. I buy a lot of their products because they work. As a result, I had a lot of those Lush pots that you can exchange for a free face mask. When I moved, I had to give them away to a friend. I should have got the face masks when I had the chance. It’s a small lesson, but with big impact. Live in the moment. Get that free face mask!

6.      If someone chooses to leave your life, you’re probably better off without them.

This is something I’ve dealt with in the past. I’m struggling with this right now. As you get older, you lose friends. You lose friends for no reason. They stop texting. They stop liking your pictures on social media. They no longer congratulate you on your successes. And if they made that choice, that’s on them. It’s not worth your time or tears to try and figure out what went wrong or if the relationship is worth salvaging. Chances are, you’ve grown out of that friendship anyway.

7.      Be grateful to be sad to be leaving your job.   

The one thing that finally made me okay about leaving was this thought. I woke up one day and realized that I’m lucky to be so devastated about leaving work. A lot of people leave because they’ve been treated poorly or they’re unhappy for some reason. For me to be in tears over leaving is a positive thing. It means that I’m leaving on good terms.

Wow, what a year. In the same year that we went into lockdown and couldn’t be in the same building as students, we also got Outstanding from Ofsted. I’m so happy that I get to look back on this time as an amazing two years of my life. I’ve learned so much, and I’ve made so many memories. I can’t wait to see what happens next!

What have you been learning lately?

-Daniella


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav