Skip to main content

7 Things to Know if You're Studying Abroad this Year


I’m going to go ahead and say I am a self-proclaimed expert on studying abroad at this point. I did for the first time three years ago in Leeds and last year in Cardiff. At this point, four of my friends (that I can remember) have reached out to me to ask for advice on the subject. All of this is to say – take my advice. I know what I’m doing.

If you’ve read this blog for a while, you may have already heard some of the things I have to say. I wrote lessons learned in Leeds  and lessons learned in Cardiff posts after I completed the years. However, hindsight has given me even more to say on the matter to make your study abroad the best it can be.

Also, congratulations on doing this. I mean, have you ever heard someone say they regretted studying abroad?



1.       Don’t hang out with solely international students.

This is my biggest piece of advice. That’s why it’s number one. In my experience, international offices are great at hosting events and helping you get to know others who are in the same boat as you. It’s great, don’t get me wrong. Some of the greatest friends I’ve made are also international students. However, don’t fall into this as the only people you hang out with. Getting to know people who are from the place you’re studying in will introduce you to so many different aspects of the culture you won’t know to explore.

2.       Take any opportunity you can to travel.
There are so many university-hosted trips or companies like Don’t be a Tourist (I went to Edinburgh with them) that bring university students on trips to places around the country. Plane tickets are significantly cheaper abroad and the train systems are so much better, so there’s no doubt that you’ll get sucked into late-night researching of trips to take on weeks off. Do it. Do it as much as you can.

3.       Friendships at home will change, but you will be okay.
The absolute worst part about studying abroad was realizing that some people you thought were close friends don’t want to bother to make an effort while you’re gone. After the second time I left, even more people drifted away. Here’s the flip side: you are left with the most amazing, wonderful, loyal, steadfast people who want to know every detail of your life while abroad. Eventually, you’ll forget about the people who didn’t bother. They’re not as important, anyway.



4.       Find some way to document your experiences in a physical way.
I journaled heavily while I was in Leeds. I did not do as much while I was in Cardiff, and I am so disappointed about that. My adventures in Leeds were fully documented because I was soaking up everything that was around me. I suggest doing something like that. Whether it’s a journal or blog or pictures, do something you know you can look back on to track what is happening. It is so wonderful to have your memories recorded.

5.       School is where you’re going to meet the locals.
Going back to the first point, this is the key to being successful at that. There is a stereotype about people who study abroad not actually studying. The workload in England was significantly less than in Canada, so I can definitely say that not a lot of studying was going on (although, it was the opposite in Cardiff). I still worked hard and passed all my courses, though. Anyway, go to class. Introduce yourself. Make friends with those people. They’re the ones that will take you to the best bars and treat you to local delicacies (Welsh cakes, in last year’s case). They will teach you what there is to know about the wonderful place you’ve decided to be in. They may also introduce you to the person who will become your significant other and move in with three years later (true story). Who knows?

6.       Don’t forget to explore the city you’re actually in.
When I was looking for links for the opening paragraph, I realized I never actually explored Leeds that much. I did that in Cardiff and wrote a whole post on what I did there. That’s maybe why I love Cardiff so much and can’t wait to visit again. I will do better this year while I’m in Leeds. It’s easy to get distracted by what else is out there, but don’t forget to check out what’s right in front of you!


7.       You will be a better person for this.
You will have learned about a different culture, lived on your own, essentially started your life over, and you get to come back to tell the tale. You will learn so much about yourself. The whole “broadening your horizons” schtick is 100% true. You will, and you will be better for it.

That’s it. That’s all I have for general advice. I could write more on roommates and buying kitchenware and all that, but I’ll spare you. If you are going on an exchange, I would love to hear from you. My social media links are to the left, or leave me a comment below. I am happy to answer any more questions you have.

Good luck, you. You’re going to be brilliant.

-Daniella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recently Read - October 2020

 Is fall not the best reading season? I’m so glad I’ve had a few opportunities to sit on the front porch, wrapped in a fuzzy blanket with a hot drink and my book. Right now, it’s raining outside and all I want to do is cozy up and get back to my book. I’ve read some great non-fiction in the past six weeks. I’m learning so much about how people relate to the world around them. That is so important to me. Check them out! The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism – Naoki Higashida – 4 Stars         This is a very short book that I think everyone should read – particularly those who work with children. Although knowledge has come a long way, there is still so much more to be learned about autism. This book is a series of question that Naoki Higashida answers from his point of view. Interspersed is also a handful of short stories from Higashida’s point of view.         It’s an incredible book. It’s something that really allows readers to understand ho

Very Inspiring Blog Award

Yay yay yay, I got nominated for the Very Inspiring Blog Award from Marlee at Marlee and You ! Now, you can learn even more about me! Pretty exciting isn’t it? The hardest part is gathering all the 15 bloggers to tag. But hey, I got this! Rules: 1.        Link the person who nominated you (CHECK) 2.        List and display the rules (CHECK) 3.        Share seven facts about yourself. 4.        Nominate 15 other blogs and let them know they have been nominated. My Seven Facts: 1.        My favourite meal is breakfast. Although I basically only eat milk and cereal, I love the variety of things you can have. I just made myself a Blueberry Breakfast Quesadilla , and it was amazing! 2.        My all time favourite website is HelloGiggles . I have recently taken on the title of a feminist, and this website has been a great way to see that other women share the same views as me. 3.        I’m not a chick-flick kind of girl. James Bond and Indiana Jones are the best. I

Ask and I Will Tell- Liebster Award

Fun fact: I like Mondays because a) I’m totally rested from the weekend, b) I basically have the whole day to myself, and c) my Monday night shifts at work are the best. Anyway, I got nominated for a Liebster award! Shout out to Emily at Pumpkin Emily Smiles ! I will give bonus points to anyone who can tell me what “liebster” means and why it has relevance to blogging. Anyway, things are different this time around. Here we go: 1.        Thank the blogger who nominated you (CHECK). 2.        Answer the 11 questions given to you. 3.        Nominate 11 other followers with less than 500 followers. 4.        Post 11 questions for the nominees to answer. 5.        Tag your nominees and post a comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them So are we clear? Good? Yeah? Okay, these are the questions I need to answer. 1.        What’s your favourite food? I always feel like this question is so much more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, I have a fav